[News] [Rival] Linux and Apple Kill What's Left of Windows (Mobile)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Linux and Apple Kill What's Left of Windows (Mobile)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:13:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

First iPhone, now Droid. Who needs Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| If the iPhone didn't finish off Windows
| Mobile in the smartphone market, the Motorola
| Droid may.
|
| Windows Mobile is losing the last vestiges of
| its mojo--if it really had any to begin
| with--as the Droid and other phones based on
| the Android 2.0 operating system push the
| buzz meter needle into the red zone. Many in
| the media--which can play a big role in
| steering users to one technology platform or
| another--sense that Windows Mobile has now
| been relegated resolutely to has-been status.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10392926-92.html

Has Microsoft Placed Its Last Mobile Bet?

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft, with its deep pockets, worked
| away at it and by last year, after first
| launching in 2002, Windows Mobile had a
| respectable 13.9 percent of worldwide
| smartphone market share, according to
| researchers at Canalys.
|
| This year brought an abrupt backward slide.
| By the second quarter 2009, Windows Mobile
| had slipped to just 9 percent market share,
| its lowest since early 2006, Canalys said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181605/has_microsoft_placed_its_last_mobile_bet.html

Recent:

How Windows Mobile Is Becoming Microsoft's New Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's channel partners, meanwhile, are
| seeing dwindling demand for Windows Mobile-
| related business. "We've stopped working with
| Windows Mobile because our client base isn't
| asking for it," said Stuart Crawford,
| business development manager at Bulletproof
| Infotech, a solution provider in Red Deer,
| Alberta. "We've gone to Blackberry
| internally, and we're seeing a lot of clients
| asking for iPhone. I'm a strong Microsoft
| advocate, but there are too many challenges
| with Windows Mobile."
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/220900607;jsessionid=ULJN43B4KDRMPQE1GHPSKH4ATMY32JVN

Microsoft smartphone OS is a hard sell