[News] Danish Municipality Defends OpenOffice.org Because of Savings

  • Subject: [News] Danish Municipality Defends OpenOffice.org Because of Savings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:23:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

DK: RÃdovre municipality: OpenOffice will be cheaper to maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| "OpenOffice will be cheaper to maintain and
| will run better than Microsoft's proprietary
| alternative", expects Lars Roark, IT manager
| at the Danish municipality of RÃdovre,
| according to reports in Danish media.
|
| The municipality on Friday announced it will
| this week start to use OpenOffice,  alongside
| Microsoft's proprietary alternative. However
| the municipality plans to eventually move to
| OpenOffice completely.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/dk-rodovre-municipality-openoffice-will-be-cheaper-to-maintain

Open Source and Cost of Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Funny story: a coworker saw me using
| Clonezilla the other day. I was sitting in
| the frigid server room (did I say room, itâs
| more like a closet really) and cloning the
| shit out of some laptops. He seemed impressed
| by the concept and asked me how much did it
| cost.
`----

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2009/11/10/open-source-and-cost-of-use/

Recent:

More Danish municipalities under way

,----[ Quote ]
| Just to let you know, we are experiencing a
| very important breakthrough in the
| municipalities right now.
|
| City of Gribskov has been using OpenOffice
| for a few years.
|
| City of TÃnder has been using OpenOffice in | schools for about a year.
|
| City of Lyngby-TaarbÃk has decided to use
| OpenOffice in schools.
`----

http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2009/10/more-danish-municipalities-under-way.html

Lyngby-Taarbaek Municipality in Denmark Adopts Open Source Office Suite For All
Student Computers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/29601