[News] Newspapers Evolve Models to Fit Abundance of Knowledge, Data

  • Subject: [News] Newspapers Evolve Models to Fit Abundance of Knowledge, Data
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:59:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Newspaper epitaph: âWho else is doing it?â

,----[ Quote ]
| But innovation is a dirty word at
| newspapers. When confronted with a
| potentially game-changing idea, the first
| question publishers always ask is, âWho
| else is doing it?â  That phrase could well
| stand as the industryâs epitaph.
`----

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2009/11/newspaper-epitaph-who-else-is-doing-it.html

A Look At All The Sites Owned By Rupert Murdoch That 'Steal' Content

,----[ Quote ]
| As Rupert Murdoch talks about how he wants
| to cut off Google, while claiming that
| aggregator sites are "parasites" and
| "stealing" from him -- and that fair use
| would likely be barred by the courts, it
| seemed like a good time to examine at least
| some of the sites that are owned by Rupert
| Murdoch that appear to aggregate content
| from other sites and which rely on the very
| same fair use argument. We've mentioned a
| few in the past, but figured it wouldn't
| hurt to explore them more thoroughly.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091111/0049546883.shtml

As Hollywood Insists Canada Is A Den Of Copyright Thieves, Movie Business Is Thriving

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, Hollywood has pushed a totally
| ridiculous claim that Canada is somehow a
| den of copyright thieves, and it needs to
| make its copyright laws much more strict.
| This fantasy has worked on journalists and
| politicians, who insist that the movie
| industry is dying in Canada due to rampant
| piracy. Except someone forgot to inform the
| real world. An anonymous reader sends over
| the news that the owners of Cineplex in
| Canada are reporting record box office
| sales and revenue, even with the current
| economic downturn.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091110/1202446880.shtml

Recent:

Audio Rippers and Encoders in Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://computingtech.blogspot.com/2008/09/audio-rippers-and-encoders-in-ubuntu.html