[News] Intellectual Monopolies Abused by Some, Discarded by Others (Google for Example)

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Abused by Some, Discarded by Others (Google for Example)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:18:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Teaches Wrong Lesson On Freedom Of The Press

,----[ Quote ]
| You would think that a Supreme Court Justice
| (and the people who work for one) would know
| better than to tell any sort of news
| publication -- even a high school newspaper
| -- that he needed to approve any articles
| written about a speech he gave, but that
| appears to be exactly what happened with
| Justice Anthony Kennedy and a recent speech
| to Dalton High School students in Manhattan.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091111/0722276896.shtml

Porsche vs. Crocsâ

,----[ Quote ]
| But this one weâre giving away: in the 10-Q
| that footnoted frequent flyer Crocs (CROX)
| filed last week, there was an interesting
| new disclosure about Porsche, the German
| car-maker, suing Crocs, the Colorado-based
| shoe manufacturer over the use of the name
| Cayman.
`----

http://www.footnoted.org/buried-treasure/porsche-vs-crocs/

Free Doesn't Mean Devalued

,----[ Quote ]
| More importantly, songwriters who get hung
| up on "devaluation" confuse recordings with
| music. They equate the two. A recording is
| not the song, it's just an instance of it,
| and a digital audio file is just an instance
| of the recording.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091109/1521136859.shtml

Google Doesn't Rely On Intellectual Property For Its Leadership Position

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091110/0843176877.shtml