[News] OIN CEO States Case Against Bilski

Keith Bergelt: The Case for Market Based Patent Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| In the wake of the financial crisis and its
| attendant repercussions across the global
| economy, the U.S. Congress stands poised to
| address the issue of patent reform. Much
| debated and long anticipated, patent reform
| legislation is back under consideration with
| the bill possibly coming up for vote, prior
| to the end of 2009. Under the stewardship of
| a set of legislators well sensitized to the
| salient issues and with the thoughtful
| counsel of David Kappos, President Obamaâs
| business savvy head of the U.S. Patent and
| Trademark Office (USPTO), the stars are
| aligning to usher in legislation that
| promises to offer significant advances in an
| arena that has been overdue for reform.
|
| [...]
|
| OIN has created a model that can be
| replicated across many industries. OIN, a
| defensive patent pool established by IBM,
| NEC, Novell, Philips, Red Hat, and Sony to
| keep the Linux Community free of patent-
| related issues and ensure freedom of action,
| launched Linux Defenders in December 2008.
| The program and associated website
| (www.linuxdefenders.org) enables the
| contribution of prior art through its
| portal. For already granted patents, Linux
| Defendersâ Post Issue Peer to Patent program
| solicits prior art that can be used to
| support requests for patent reexam. The
| third element of the Linux Defenders
| platform highlights the difference between
| patents and defensive publications and leads
| inventors through a process that allows
| inventions to be codified and made
| accessible to patent examiners as an
| effective form of prior art.
|
| [...]
|
| The foregoing dynamics underscore the need
| for legislative, regulatory and judicial
| patent reform coupled with market-led patent
| reform. Absent a joint market, industry and
| government effort that is comprehensive and
| seeks to resolve all of the challenges posed
| by todayâs patent system, the result of
| legislative reform will be suboptimal.
`----

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33656799

An Explanation of Computation Theory for Lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| If I had to describe the fairly universal
| geek reaction to the oral argument at the US
| Supreme Court on Monday in In Re Bilski, I
| would have to say it's a worry that some of
| the participants didn't seem to understand
| computers or the tech behind software very
| well.

Supremes wrestle with business method, software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The Supreme Court heard oral arguments in
| the Bilski case on Monday. The wide-ranging
| discussion included significant discussion
| about the patentability of software and also
| touched on the patentability of horse-
| training and speed-dating methods.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/11/supremes-wrestle-with-business-method-software-patents.ars

Recent:

Patently Opaque

,----[ Quote ]
| What was in this lot of 22 patents that would
| specifically worry the Linux community? The OIN
| supplied The H with a list of the patents:
|
|    * Encoding a URL into the playback of a media file
|    (5987509, 6499057, 5774666, 6963906)
|    * Broadcasting video over distributed networks
|    (6005600, 6792468, 7448062)
|    * Launching a browser and sending it to a URL by
|    clicking an icon (5737560, 5877767, 6072491,
|    7032185)
|    * Launching applications through a movie (5745713)
|    * Colour space conversions (5946113, 6147772)
|    * Web page annotations (6081829, 6571295)
|    * Web publishing hypertext (5890170)
|    * Web publishing and editing with templates
|    (6026433)
|    * A Method for painting on a computer (5182548)
|    * Virtual Address Translation (6205531)
|    * Dynamically generating graphics for the web on the
|    server (6098092)
|    * Dynamic information clipping service (5649186)
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Patently-Opaque-What-were-those-22-open-source-patents--/features/114293

The real patent threat: Not Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Hence, while the open-source world is up in arms about Microsoft's TomTom
| patent suit, it should be far more worried about news that Intellectual
| Ventures has grabbed another 500 patents through a deal with Telcordia
| Technologies, as TechFlash reports. Intellectual Ventures, arguably the
| world's largest patent troll, is set up to do nothing more than license its
| intellectual property, which it has done to the tune of hundreds of millions
| of dollars.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10172590-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Intellectual Ventures adds to patent pile with new deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual Ventures is adding to its huge pile of patents. The
| Bellevue-based firm, founded by former Microsoft CTO Nathan Myhrvold, is
| today announcing a partnership with broadband company Telcordia Technologies,
| giving it access to more than 500 Telcordia patents. Intellectual Ventures
| has also pledged to fund Telcordia research and development.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/Intellectual_Ventures_40298142.html

Checking in on Nathan Myhrvold

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd suggest the business be called Intellectual Vultures' ... because that is
| exactly what Nathan is bringing to the table - nothing. This business model
| stifles and prevents creative idea, and is yet another made up securities
| model that preys on other people's legitimate hard work.
|
| When he was at Microsoft, he had zero practical ideas and I see he's still
| doing the same, only this time, he's screwing the whole public. This business
| is living on the backs of other people because they don't know how to spell
| the word âinnovation'. How about coming up with an original and useful idea
| and earn it the old fashion way?
|
| Nathan should be ashamed of this practice and he should be investigated by
| the FTC for predatory business practices.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/149104.asp?source=rss

Nathan Myhrvoldâs Patent Extortion Fund Is Reaping Hundreds Of Millions of
Dollars

,----[ Quote ]
| Donât blame Nathan Myhrvold for taking advantage of the culture of rampant
| patent litigation in this country. He is only doing what large companies with
| vast patent portfolios such as IBM and Microsoft do on a daily basis: use the
| threat of patent infringement litigation to strike lucrative patent licensing
| deals. Except Myhrvold, who used to be Bill Gatesâ right-hand man at
| Microsoft during the 1990s, does it through his patent-gobbling fund,
| Intellectual Ventures.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/17/nathan-myhrvolds-patent-extortion-fund-is-reaping-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars/

Invention Capitalism & the Law: Checking in on Nathan Myhrvold

,----[ Quote ]
| Myhrvold told the WSJ that he acknowledges facing resistance from companies
| he targets for licenses. But his patent inventory gives him leverage to
| extract settlements without litigation. âI say, âI canât afford to sue you on
| all of these, and you canât afford to defend on all these,ââ he said.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/09/17/invention-capitalism-the-law-checking-in-on-nathan-myhrvold/

Nathan Myhrvold: Alpha patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| Former Microsoft exec Nathan Myhrvold has been collecting patents, extracting
| fees from technology companies via his company Intellectual Ventures. Is
| Myhrvold a patent troll with tech cred?
|
| The Wall Street Journal has a long account of Myhrvoldâs patent collecting
| efforts and how he is winning multimillion dollar payments from the likes of
| Verizon and Cisco. These payments are top secret material, but Myhrvoldâs
| firm is the one reaping the rewards. Intellectual Ventures has more than
| 20,000 patents. In many respects, Myhrvold is just a patent trader. A few
| lawsuits could define him as a troll quickly though.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10069

Tech Guru Riles the Industry

,----[ Quote ]