[News] Linux Devices in Review, New Ones Emerge

  • Subject: [News] Linux Devices in Review, New Ones Emerge
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 01:02:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Top 5 iPod Alternatives for Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| The selected MP3 players on the list not
| only support Linux natively, without the
| use of any extra programs, but in many
| cases also offer better sound quality,
| better battery life, and better file format
| support then an iPod.
`----

http://www.learningubuntu.com/tips/top-5-ipod-alternatives-linux-users

Hands-On: Chumby Classic vs Chumby One

,----[ Quote ]
| The newly released Chumby One arrived in
| the mail today, and we couldn't wait to see
| how it compared to the original digital
| connected companion device. The Chumby, in
| case you haven't heard of it, is a multi-
| function gadget that can serve as an alarm
| clock, RSS reader, gaming device, or music
| player. It connects to the internet with
| Wi-Fi, and runs user-created widgets to do
| cool things like read your Gmail or send
| you Twitter updates. You interact with it
| through a 3.5 inch resistive touchscreen,
| but it also has an accelerometer inside,
| since it's made to be held and encourages
| user interaction.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/web_exclusive/handson_chumby_vs_chumby_one

ARM9, Cortex-A8 modules support Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Avalue announced two Linux-compatible, ARM-
| architecture computer-on-module (COMs). The
| RSC-W910 is based on a Nuvoton W90P910 ARM9
| CPU, and the RSM-MX515 SoM is based on a
| Freescale Cortex-A8-based i.MX515 system-
| on-chip (SoC), says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Avalue-RSCW910-and-RSMMX515/?kc=rss

Recent:

Linux to capture 60% of smartphone market by 2016?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thefonecast.com/News/tabid/85/EntryId/1935/Linux-to-capture-60-of-smartphone-market-by-2016.aspx