[News] Python 3 Made More Concrete, New Perl Site is Up

  • Subject: [News] Python 3 Made More Concrete, New Perl Site is Up
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:21:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Python 3 moratorium now official

,----[ Quote ]
| The Python 3 language syntax has been
| frozen until June 2011 under a moratorium
| imposed by Guido Van Rossum, Python's
| creator and BDFL (Benevolent Dictator For
| Life). The moratorium, proposed at the end
| of October, is now defined in PEP3003 and
| sets out what is not to change in future
| Python 3 versions.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Python-3-moratorium-now-official-857356.html

Learning Python, fourth edition

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been a long time since I did any
| programming. My life took a different path.
| This book has reminded me of how fun it is
| to write and read code in Python and made
| me wonder how I might find or create
| opportunities to return programming to my
| busy life (but this time around, if I make
| the time to write anything, it will be in
| Python 3.x). This book is why.
`----

http://matthewhelmke.net/2009/11/13/learning-python-fourth-edition/

Perl.org refresh goes live

,----[ Quote ]
| Following six weeks of development, the
| Perl.org web site, home of the Perl
| programming language, has now been
| redesigned and relaunched. According to a
| journal post by Senior Perl developer Leo
| Lapworth, the complete redesign and content
| review is aimed at providing a cleaner and
| easier to use page for visitors to better
| find the information they are after.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Perl-org-refresh-goes-live-859275.html

Recent:

Keeping score in test-driven development with Python, PyLint, unittest, doctest, and PyRate

,----[ Quote ]
| Programming is one of the most extreme
| examples of delayed gratification â you can
| work for months without having anything to
| show for it (or at least nothing that would
| convince your family that it was worth all
| that time and trouble). This can be really
| demoralizing, especially if you have any
| doubts about your abilities to begin with.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/keeping_score_test_driven_development_python_pylint_unittest_doctest_and_pyrate

Awk vs. Perl

http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/awk-vs.perl.html

Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

,----[ Quote ]
| The main goal of the Python development
| community at this point should be to get
| widespread acceptance of Python 3000. There
| is tons of work to be done before we can be
| comfortable about Python 3.x, mostly in
| creating solid ports of those 3rd party
| libraries that must be ported to Py3k before
| other libraries and applications can be
| ported. (Other work related to Py3k
| acceptance might be tools to help porting,
| tools to help maintaining multiple versions
| of a codebase, documentation about porting
| to Python 3, and so on. Also, work like that
| going on in the distutils-sig is very
| relevant.)
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/357996/