[News] Linux-powered Nokia N900 Gets Good Reviews

  • Subject: [News] Linux-powered Nokia N900 Gets Good Reviews
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:08:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nokia N900: First Look

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nokia N900 has just started shipping
| and there are already a number of reviews
| of the device out on the net. I've had the
| opportunity evaluate a pre-release N900 for
| a few weeks now, and while you can expect a
| full review in an upcoming issue of Linux
| Journal, I wanted to give you a quick look
| into what the N900 is like from the
| perspective of your average Linux geek. If
| you've read any of my previous articles in
| Linux Journal, you'll know that I'm a vim-
| using, mutt-loving sysadmin who spends a
| lot of time on the command line, so
| hopefully I can provide a unique
| perspective on this device.
|
| [...]
|
| If you look at the above list, it's
| essentially the same sorts of things I do
| on my regular laptop. What surprised me the
| most about the device is just how much it
| /feels/ like a regular Debian Linux
| machine, especially on the command line. I
| mean it uses upstart, pulseaudio, apt-get,
| GTK and QT libraries, and when I want root
| I don't have to use hacked firmware, I just
| install the gainroot package and type sudo
| gainroot.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/nokia-n900-first-look

Nokia Finally Releases N900, âTis Exciting But A Bit Late

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has finally released its Maemo5 based
| smartphone â the N900. Maemo is Nokiaâs
| next generation mobile OS. It is a Linux-
| based platform that seeks to take on such
| juggernauts as the iPhone OS and the
| Android.
|
| The N900 has intrigued the tech community
| and people in general with its bevy of
| features ever since it was first announce.
| But when you look at it closely enough, it
| seems like it is too little, too late yet
| again. Reminds me of the N97 really.
|
| [...]
|
| The Nokia N900 Maemo5 phone is now on
| preorder from the website for $649.
| Availability is at end of this month
| (November â09). Comes only in Black.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/11/16/nokia-finally-releases-n900-tis-exciting-but-a-bit-late/

Nokia N900 Is a Multitasking Champ!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nokia N900, with its Linux Maemo
| operating system at its heart, is a
| multitasking beast!
`----

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/nokia-n900-is-a-multitasking-champ

Recent:

15 Ways Nokiaâs N900 Is Better Than Appleâs iPhone (and 5 ways itâs not)

,----[ Quote ]
| For almost 3 years, Appleâs iPhone has set
| the standard for mainstream smart phones.
| Recently, Apple has taken over a large
| portion of the smart phone market, now
| manufacturers like Nokia are taking the
| iPhone threat seriously and bringing out
| new phones to try to compete. One phone
| that looks like it has a real chance to
| compete with the iPhone is Nokiaâs new N900
| phone/internet tablet. Here are 15 ways we
| think that the N900 is better than the
| iPhone, and a few reasons why the iPhone is
| still better.
`----

http://www.starryhope.com/nokia-n900/2009/15-ways-nokias-n900-is-better-than-apples-iphone-and-5-ways-its-not/

Palm shares rising on Nokia bid rumor

,----[ Quote ]
| It's also developing a new Linux-based
| operating system called Maemo that could
| vault it into the smart phone market in the
| U.S.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?&entry_id=51603

Nokia Rumored To Buy Palm Triggers Stock Surge

http://www.i4u.com/article28349.html

N900 to launch on Vodafone in November

,----[ Quote ]
| The anticipated Linux based device is due to
| hit the shops in November with Vodafone as
| candidate to sell it in the UK.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/617539/n900-to-launch-on-vodafone-in-november

Nokia CEO says starts deliveries of top-model N900

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5A91C620091110