[News] More Censorship with Threats and and Unhelpful Laws

  • Subject: [News] More Censorship with Threats and and Unhelpful Laws
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:55:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New Zealand Herald drops hard news

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Cactus Kate, APN instructed
| editors to spike any stories that could
| trigger legal action or are otherwise
| risky.
|
| The New Zealand Herald has never been
| considered the nationâs hardest newspaper,
| but Cactus Kateâs APN Chicken Out says the
| company is no longer participating in âreal
| mediaâ.
`----

http://billbennett.co.nz/2009/11/16/zealand-newspaper-chickens-news/

Quilliam Foundation Threaten Webhosts To Close Down This Blog

,----[ Quote ]
| Having failed to intimidate me, the
| Quilliam foundation have now written to my
| webhost in the Netherlands, threatening to
| sue them in England (English law claims
| effective universal jurisdiction on libel).
| They are demanding that my webhost pays
| damages to the Directors of the Quilliam
| Foundation.
`----

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2009/11/quilliam_founda_1.html

IGF 2009: Dull speeches and bad wine

,----[ Quote ]
| So Iâm sat in the opening ceremony of the
| Internet Governance Forum in Sharm El
| Sheikh â a cosy cinema seat at the further
| front-right of a giant summit hall â
| watching the various dignatories giving a
| wide variety of dull speeches.
|
| [...]
|
| Oh no! Iâm being censored again
|
| Just as inevitable as dull speeches at
| these events is the Grand Censorship
| Moment. Itâs come early this year, barely
| hours after the doors opened.
`----

http://kierenmccarthy.com/2009/11/15/igf-2009-dull-speeches-and-bad-wine/

Police probe breach of NHS smartcard security as e-records launched in London

,----[ Quote ]
| An NHS trust at the forefront of work on
| the Â12.7bn NHS IT scheme has called in
| police after a breach of smartcard security
| compromised the confidentiality of hundreds
| of electronic records.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2009/11/16/239006/police-probe-breach-of-nhs-smartcard-security-as-e-records-launched-in.htm

Recent:

Glenn Beck Not Allowed To Rape And Murder An Internet Meme

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091106/1353106839.shtml