[News] Intellectual Monopoly Under Attack from Multiple Angles

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopoly Under Attack from Multiple Angles
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:06:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

If You Believe in IP, How Do You Teach Others?

,----[ Quote ]
| So on this score, Rand had perfectly sound
| instincts (a person should charge as much
| as he or she can for first run) but Rand's
| rationale was rooted in this modern notion
| of intellectual property, a theory, shared
| by nearly all her contemporaries, on which
| she was never once challenged. In fact, to
| a great extent, her philosophy exalted the
| role and rights of the creator more than
| any, probably, in the history of ideas.
| This is a great contribution, but she took
| the notion too far â for Rand, intellectual
| rights trumped real rights.
`----

http://mises.org/daily/3864

Implications of rejecting "intellectual property"

,----[ Quote ]
| Critics should think long and hard before
| they continue to defend "intellectual
| property". Not only is it based on pure
| fiction, something with no basis in
| reality, but their objections are silly and
| baseless showing more the lack of
| imagination and an unwillingness to think
| beyond their current paradigm. Furthermore
| their defense of IP only helps to prevent
| any meaningful change to the corporatist
| society we're living in, EVEN when they
| root for the Free or Open Source licensing.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/practical-implications-of-rejecting-intellectual-property

Microsoft's pseudo sudo patent doesn't really cover sudo

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/11/microsofts-psuedo-sudo-patent-doesnt-really-cover-sudo.ars

Microsoft's Patently Absurd 'Sudo Patent'

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68652.html?wlc=1258480828

Recent:

Free vs. Paid: The Wrong Debate

,----[ Quote ]