[News] Open Access Celebrates More Wins

Access to online information and knowledge â advancing human rights and democracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Information and knowledge are crucial
| factors in human development. We are
| reminded of this constantly, from the
| âknowledge economyâ we live in, to the
| emotional and financial power that
| information and communications
| technologies (ICTs) have over our lives.
| In the words of philosopher Francis Bacon,
| âScientia potentia estâ â knowledge itself
| is power. Present-day movements for access
| to knowledge and the right to information
| have their origins in this simple and
| arguably ancient idea. Despite a rich
| history and wide intellectual acceptance,
| the right to know is not universally
| granted, and the right to know on the
| internet is a particularly bitter struggle
| in many parts of the world.[1]
`----

http://www.cis-india.org/advocacy/ipr/blog/access-to-online-information-and-knowledge

B-Reel goes Open Source to Standardize Digital and Integrated Production

,----[ Quote ]
| As for the open source approach, "we just
| figured it would be easier for everybody
| to contribute via a wiki than by email or
| meetings. We kind of hope that would
| [lead] to getting balanced general terms,
| a unified view on the process and some
| good assets to use for producers. We think
| it will evolve in iterations as an ongoing
| thing, in smaller and smaller movements,
| with more and more focus," Wahlquist says.
| "Whenever there is a substantial addition,
| we'll add it to the bidsheet. We would
| welcome anyone to endorse it, add to it or
| to help in any way."
`----

http://creativity-online.com/news/breel-goes-open-source-to-standardize-digital-and-integrated-production/140585

Jimmy Wales interview: Wikipedia is focusing on accuracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Jimmy Wales is eating dinner alongside
| Princess Caroline of Monaco. Web royalty
| has come to meet the real thing. Wales,
| the man who co-founded Wikipedia eight
| years ago, is in Monaco to be awarded the
| Monaco Media Prize at the principalityâs
| annual invite-only media forum.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6589487/Jimmy-Wales-interview-Wikipedia-is-focusing-on-accuracy.html

Recent:

100 Excellent Open Access Journals for Educators

,----[ Quote ]
| Just like physicians, the best educators
| stay informed with the latest developments
| in their field. Luckily, it doesnât take
| anything more than time to have access to
| quality journals for educators. The
| following open access journals provide top-
| notch scholarly information available at no
| cost. Most of these journals are published
| just once or a few times a year, so
| subscribe to several so you can keep up-to-
| date on the latest research coming out of
| the field of education.
`----

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2009/11/11/100-excellent-open-access-journals-for-educators/

Free Movies Online: Great Classics, Indies, Film Noir, Documentaries & More

,----[ Quote ]
| Where to watch free movies online? Letâs
| get you started. First, we have listed
| dozens of free, high quality films that you
| can watch online. Then, below, you can find
| movie sites that feature free movie
| collections. Classics, international, film
| noir, documentaries, indies â theyâre all
| here, waiting to be watched.
`----

http://www.openculture.com/2009/11/free_movies_online.html

British Library's Bitter Digital Milestone

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/british-librarys-bitter-digital.html