[News] Intellectual Monopolies Exposed and Debunked Again

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Exposed and Debunked Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 03:42:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

We See Your 'Copyright Contributes $1.5 Trillion' And
Raise You 'Fair Use Contributes $2.2 Trillion'

,----[ Quote ]
| The copyright industry lobbyists absolutely
| love to throw around the bogus and debunked
| stat that copyright contributes $1.52
| trillion to the economy. That number is
| derived by taking any business that kinda
| sorta maybe touches copyright (including
| things like furniture and jewelry) and then
| assuming that all of the revenue they make
| is entirely due to copyright. Yes, that's
| ridiculous. But, if the copyright lobbyists
| are going to use such bogus methodology to
| push their agenda, it seems only fair for
| those on the other side to use the same
| methodology. Last week, we wrote about a
| biased editorial by two newspaper industry
| lawyers in the WSJ (who failed to note the
| conflicts of interest), claiming that
| Google violated copyright law, and attacked
| the concept of fair use.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091118/1002136992.shtml

Oh No! Nobody Reads! Oh No! It's Too Cheap For Everyone To Read!

,----[ Quote ]
| Reader Robin Trehaeven alerts us to a
| fantastic opinion piece in the Library
| Journal by Barbara Fister, a librarian at
| Gustavus Adolphus College, in which she
| does a superb job mocking what she refers
| to as the "accessibility paradox" where
| those who are used to being gatekeepers to
| information at the same time as they're
| supposedly promoting the benefits of
| greater information, suddenly start whining
| when information really does get more
| accessible.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091102/1016156767.shtml

Kicking People Off The Internet Not Enough In South Korea,
Copyright Lobbyists Demand More

,----[ Quote ]
| If you thought that the entertainment
| industry would stop at having the ability
| to force ISPs to kick people they accuse
| (not convict) of file sharing offline, you
| might want to pay attention to what's
| happening in South Korea. South Korea, of
| course, is home to very high broadband
| penetration, with exceptionally high
| speeds. And, not surprisingly, there's a
| lot of unauthorized file sharing going on
| there. Of course, if you looked at the
| Korean cultural world, you'd immediately
| learn that smart entrepreneurs and
| entertainers quickly learned to adapt and
| take advantage of this new world.
| Entrepreneurs like JY Park recognized the
| changing marketplace, and adapted -- and
| the massive success he's had with artists
| like Rain and Wonder Girls, suggests that
| perhaps "piracy" wasn't a big deal. All you
| need is some smart business people who can
| adapt.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091117/1154046972.shtml

Are The Record Labels Using Bluebeat's Bogus Copyright
Defense To Avoid Having To Give Copyrights Back To Artists?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, of course that sounds ridiculous, to
| hear that record labels can get a new
| copyright on just remastering a work...
| but, that sounds an awful lot like the
| argument made by Bluebeat.com, concerning
| its "psycho-acoustic simulation" re-
| recordings of famous songs, that enabled it
| to claim a new copyright.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091117/1157566973.shtml

ASCAP, BMI And SESAC Continue To Screw Over Most Songwriters:
'Write A Hit Song If You Want Money'

,----[ Quote ]
| At some point, musicians and songwriters
| need to learn that these organizations are
| not doing things in their best interests at
| all. They're simply bureaucracies to funnel
| money to big names, while limiting the
| competition.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091118/0916136988.shtml

Sounds of silence? Fees spur venues to scrap live music

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20091117/NEWS01/111170004/Sounds-of-silence?-Fees-spur-venues-to-scrap-live-music

Walmart Won't Let Family Print Photos Of Dead Relative For Funeral

,----[ Quote ]
| After the death of a relative, Mike put
| together a photo tribute for the funeral,
| in order to "remember the good times," he
| says.
`----

http://consumerist.com/5407746/walmart-wont-let-family-print-photos-of-dead-relative-for-funeral

The strange death of illegal downloading

,----[ Quote ]
| The moral is simple. We are not a nation of
| thieves, but if a supermarket leaves its
| doors open and shuts down the tills, it
| should be unsurprised if people help
| themselves. The music industry lets illegal
| downloading thrive because it didn't
| provide an easy, affordable way to pay.
| That was left to Apple's iTunes, the likes
| of Last.fm and now a new generation of
| sites, which offer music at prices that
| reflect more fully the near-zero cost of
| distribution. While the music industry was
| lamenting that users wouldn't pay for
| tracks, the same people were paying up to
| Â3 a pop for ringtones on their phones.
| Why? Because phones have an easy payments
| system.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/nov/18/end-of-illegal-downloading

Recent:

Newspaper Industry Lawyers Attack Fair Use, Claim Google Is Illegal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091113/1357386926.shtml