[News] New York Times; Time to Start Over Again with Patent (Monopoly) Systems

  • Subject: [News] New York Times; Time to Start Over Again with Patent (Monopoly) Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 03:48:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Inventing a Better Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| The quality of American patents has been
| deteriorating for years; they are increasingly
| issued for products and processes that are not
| truly innovative â things like the queuing
| system for Netflix, which was patented in
| 2003. Yes, it makes renting movies a snap, but
| was it really a breakthrough deserving patent
| protection?
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/opinion/17pozen.html?_r=2

Boom! Shazam Sued For Patent Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Shazam Entertainment, makers of the popular
| iPhone app that tells you what song is
| playing in the car, store, bar, restaurant,
| etc., is getting sued for patent
| infringement by Digimarc, another software
| company. The suit covers three patents; two
| date back to 1995 -- long before the
| iPhone.
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/shazam-sued-for-patent-infringement-2009-11

Recent:

Google Sued Over Patents On Open Source Code

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091028/0159066702.shtml