News] Patent System in the Philippines Hijacked by Multinationals, Invaders

  • Subject: News] Patent System in the Philippines Hijacked by Multinationals, Invaders
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 03:50:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

90% of local patents applied for and granted come from nonresidents

,----[ Quote ]
| THE countryâs patent landscape continues to
| be dominated by foreign owners, with data
| both from the World Intellectual Property
| Organization (Wipo) and the Intellectual
| Property Office of the Philippines (IP
| Philippines) indicating that over 90
| percent of the patents applied for and
| granted here were from nonresidents.
|
| Wipoâs 2009 World IP Indicators revealed
| that the Philippines had the third-largest
| number of patent applications among 20
| emerging countries that the group surveyed
| after the Ukraine and Indonesia.
|
| However, 96.4 percent of the patents
| granted in the Philippines were issued to
| nonresident filers.
|
| The report, which was based on the 2006
| worldwide statistics, also showed that 92.9
| percent of the patents filed in the
| Philippines were from nonresident filers.
`----

http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/economy/18693-90-of-local-patents-applied-for-and-granted-come-from-nonresidents.html

WIPO Launches Enhanced Patent Information Service

,----[ Quote ]
| WIPO has launched an enhanced online patent
| information service that will improve
| public access to information on patents
| filed and granted around the world. WIPOâs
| PATENTSCOPEÂ, which currently hosts data on
| more than 1.6 million international patent
| applications filed under the Patent
| Cooperation Treaty (PCT), has been extended
| to include several collections of national
| and regional patent information.
`----

http://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2009/article_0051.html

Recent:

How Patents Are Harming Small Companies Too

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090601/0007575076.shtml