[News] Reminder That Secret AstroTurfing Does Exist

  • Subject: [News] Reminder That Secret AstroTurfing Does Exist
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:06:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

In House, Many Spoke With One Voice: Lobbyistsâ

,----[ Quote ]
| In the official record of the historic
| House debate on overhauling health care,
| the speeches of many lawmakers echo with
| similarities. Often, that was no accident.
|
| Statements by more than a dozen lawmakers
| were ghostwritten, in whole or in part, by
| Washington lobbyists working for Genentech,
| one of the worldâs largest biotechnology
| companies.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/us/politics/15health.html?hp

The Lobbyists' Ability To Control The Message

,----[ Quote ]
| But what is rather stunning about the NY
| Times story on how Genentech's talking
| points were mentioned (with multiple
| Congressional reps using the exact same
| language) is how unconcerned everyone is
| about it. The lobbyists wrote up talking
| points for both sides of the aisle. It
| wasn't about being in support or against
| the current healthcare bill, but just to
| get these Congressional Reps "on the
| record" in supporting key concepts, so that
| those same lobbyists can go back and point
| to such "bipartisan" support in the future,
| even if the Congressional reps themselves
| don't even know what they're talking about.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091117/1010356964.shtml

Medical Schools Quizzed on Ghostwriting

,----[ Quote ]
| Senator Charles E. Grassley wrote to 10 top
| medical schools Tuesday to ask what they
| are doing about professors who put their
| names on ghostwritten articles in medical
| journals â and why that practice was any
| different from plagiarism by students.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/18/business/18ghost.html?hp

Senate Exploring Med School Profs Putting Names On Ghostwritten Journal Articles In Favor Of Drugs

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091117/2246526983.shtml

Recent:

Retired Telco PR Exec Who Sent XYZ Corp. Letter To FCC Insists He Wrote It

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091026/1732156683.shtml