[News] Mandelson to Attack USENET and Other Fora

  • Subject: [News] Mandelson to Attack USENET and Other Fora
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:14:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Filesharing laws to hit websites and newsgroups too

,----[ Quote ]
| The government is planning to award itself
| powers to change copyright law almost at
| will, in expectation that new anti-peer-to-
| peer laws will drive infringement to other
| services such as Rapidshare and newsgroups.
|
| The measure, which is the most severe
| contained in the Digital Economy Bill
| published today, will be interpreted as a
| major victory for rights holder
| organisations. It will grant the Business
| Secretary Lord Mandelson and his successors
| undprecedented control over civil
| enforcement of copyright.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/20/digital_economy_bill/

Mandelson seeks to amend copyright law in new crackdown on filesharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord Mandelson is seeking to amend the laws
| on copyright to give the government
| sweeping new powers against people accused
| of illegal downloading.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/nov/19/mandelson-copyright-filesharing-murdoch-google?CMP=AFCYAH

Mandelson to get Nominet reform powers

,----[ Quote ]
| Ministers have revealed new legislation
| that will allow the government to take over
| and reform Nominet, following a boardroom
| battle over the .uk registry's future.
|
| The reserve powers are included in the
| Digital Economy Bill, published today by
| Lord Mandelson's Department for Business.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/20/nominet_law/

T-Mobile staff sold personal data

,----[ Quote ]
| Staff at mobile phone company T-Mobile
| passed on millions of records from
| thousands of customers to third party
| brokers, the
| firm has confirmed.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8364421.stm

Recent:

TalkTalk threatens legal action over Mandelson's filesharing plan

,----[ Quote ]
| TalkTalk, the second largest internet
| service provider in the UK, has threatened
| to launch legal action if business secretary
| Peter Mandelson follows through with his
| plan to cut off persistent illegal
| filesharers' internet connections.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/oct/29/talktalk-threatens-legal-action-mandelson

ISP's attack government anti-filesharing tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| THE UK'S TOP Internet service providers have
| opposed Business Secretary Lord Peter
| Mandelson's daft plan to cut off persistent
| illegal filesharers' Internet connections.
|
| Talktalk has even said that it feels the
| scheme infringes upon people's rights and it
| will be happy to go to court to have it
| struck down.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1560307/isp-attack-government-anti-filesharing-tactics

Mandelson and âThree Strikesâ: Not So Much âDark Lordâ...

,----[ Quote ]
| Unjust, because it allows the media
| industries to function as prosecutor, judge
| and jury, with only minimal oversight by
| proper legal authorities; unjust because it
| cuts people off from what is fast becoming a
| necessity of modern life, as the UK
| government itself is promoting; unjust
| because it penalises an entire family for
| the alleged actions of one member: something
| that in war would amount to a
| disproportionate and vindictive act of
| reprisal - a war-crime, in fact.
|
| It is unworkable because it will be almost
| impossible to tell whether copyrighted
| material is being transmitted legally or
| not; and ultimately it is unworkable because
| people will simply start encrypting material
| before downloading.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2616&blogid=14

Mandy confirms he'll cut off filesharers

,----[ Quote ]
| Labour's plan is that the music industry
| will monitor what people are downloading,
| and on their say-so (not in any court of
| law), internet subscribers will receive two
| warning letters and then have their internet
| access cut off. The music industry will not
| have to prove that the subscribers have
| being doing anything wrong; instead
| Mandelson's plan is that they will act as
| judge, jury and executioner. And it's not
| just the subscriber who will be cut off,
| their whole household will be too; this
| collective punishment, if done in wartime,
| would be a war crime under the Geneva
| Convention.
`----

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2009/oct/28/mandy-confirms-hell-cut-filesharers/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to abolish the proposed law that will see alleged illegal filesharers disconnected from their broadband connections, without a fair trial.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/

Parliamentary Comms Group Says âNoâ to UK 3-Strikes

,----[ Quote ]
| An increasing death-knell is sounding for Lord
| Mandelsonâs proposals for 3-strikes Internet
| disconnections. The latest blow comes from the All Party
| Parliamentary Communications Group. After a consultation
| earlier this year, they have now published their
| response, and itâs not one favorable to âDarth Mandyâ
| and his plans.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/parliamentary-comms-group-says-no-to-uk-3-strikes-091017/

U.K. Minister Defends Internet Suspension In MPAA Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, a joint statement from the Featured Artists Coalition, the British
| Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors (BASCA) and the Music Producers
| Guild also condemns the plan.
`----

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ie0fe1e4b8826bd934c32abe14fad750c

Lammy appeals to film and music industries to help tackle online piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Lammy cites apparent inconsistencies in copyright law, citing the example of
| a CD owner who wants a copy on his MP3 player. "Is he breaking the rules or
| just refusing to be ripped off?"
|
| "Something isn't right with copyright. Not just in the UK but as a whole. And
| I want to do something about that," he says.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/sep/03/david-lammy-speaks-out-on-online-piracy

An open letter to Lord Mandelson

,----[ Quote ]
| Your proposal is wrong for purely economic reasons. It is wrong because it
| will stifle a major opportunity for economic growth right at the point where
| we need it most. And it is wrong because as a government your role is not to
| legislate to protect business models but to regulate in a way that balances
| the risks of damage in one sector against the potential for encouraging new
| sectors to develop.
`----

http://blog.openwetware.org/scienceintheopen/2009/09/04/an-open-letter-to-lord-mandelson/

Creative industries and consumersâ rights

,----[ Quote ]
| We hope that the Government will consider genuinely consumersâ rights in its
| endeavours to protect the creative industries.
`----

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article6819093.ece

Good Thoughts on Naughty Lord Mandelson

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/good-thoughts-on-naughty-lord-mandelson.html

The Right to Science and Culture

Peter Mandelson Defends His Sudden Conversion To Kicking People Off The
Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| You do realize that a UK-based music organization (PRS) recently released a
| report noting that the music industry in the UK is actually growing? Right?
| These are the sort of facts the Secretary of Business knows, right? And if
| the industry is growing, despite complaining about file sharing, isn't it
| possible that the real issue is just focusing on business model improvement,
| rather than the hand of gov't stepping in and slapping people around?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090831/0134186048.shtml

BSA Jumps Onto The Three Strikes Bandwagon

,----[ Quote ]
| More troubling, however, is that when questioned about the new statement by
| Ars Technica, the BSA said it was necessary because "last year our industry
| lost over $50 billion (USD) worldwide." Hmm. It's really quite troubling that
| the BSA still stands by these numbers when they've been debunked so
| thoroughly over and over again. They count the "retail value" of every piece
| of software as being "lost," which is clearly a lie. Five years ago, the
| research company that runs these studies for the BSA, IDG, flat out said that
| the BSA was wrong in claiming that "the retail value" of the software is the
| same as "losses." So why does the BSA continue to get away with claiming it?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090831/0230056052.shtml

UK "Three Strikes": Please Write to Your MP

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I wrote a quick analysis of the insane U-turn effected by the UK
| government over "three strikes and you're out". Below I've posted the
| corresponding letter that I've sent to my MP on the subject.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/uk-three-strikes-please-write-to-your.html

Fon and Games with "Three Strikes"

,----[ Quote ]
| Suppose, now, that people use some of those million hotspots to download
| copyright material: how easy is it going to be (a) establishing exactly who
| downloaded it and (b) cutting off that person?
|
| Gives a new meaning to the term "hotspot"...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/fon-and-games-with-three-strikes.html

Lord Mandelson pays off his Â750,000 mortgage within a year

,----[ Quote ]
| The mystery of how Lord Mandelson managed to afford a Â2.4 million town house
| in Regent's Park took a new twist this week with his claim in a newspaper
| interview that he did not possess a mortgage on the property.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6011346/Lord-Mandelson-pays-off-his-750000-mortgage-within-a-year.html

38 Degrees backs campaign against âDigital Dictatorâ Mandelson

,----[ Quote ]
| Online campaigners 38 Degrees have launched an attack on Mandelsonâs plans to
| give himself the power to order internet cut-offs without trial. Other
| campaigners from a range of NGOs are getting in touch with us about this:
| there is a growing sense of outrage among people who know that the internet
| is the most important political tool we have.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2009/08/38-degrees-backs-campaign-against-digital-dictator-mandelson/

Taking something for nothing is wrong . . .

,----[ Quote ]
| [by] Peter Mandelson
`----

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6814187.ece

UK Wants to Zap File-Sharers

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems the British government is going loony for anti-piracy rhetoric from
| the likes of U2 and David Geffen.
`----

http://newteevee.com/2009/08/25/uk-wants-to-zap-file-sharers/

Mandelson goes to war on teenagers downloading their music and movies... just
days after dining with anti-piracy billionaire

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord Mandelson launched a crackdown on internet piracy just days after
| meeting a leading Hollywood critic of illegal file sharing.
|
| The business secretary plans to criminalise the estimated seven million
| people - one in 12 of the population - who illicitly download music and films
| over the internet.
`----

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206901/Mandelson-launches-crackdown-file-sharing--just-days-meeting-record-producer.html

âTaking something for nothing is wrongâ â No, not expenses, data.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/taking-something-for-nothing-is-wrong-no-not-expenses-data/