[News] ARM-based Sub-notebooks with GNU/Linux Look Strong

  • Subject: [News] ARM-based Sub-notebooks with GNU/Linux Look Strong
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 02:46:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Inventec Smartbook almost makes me think Smartbooks have a shot

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs no question that PC makers and
| wireless carriers are getting ready to
| unveil a whole slew of low power smartbooks
| with ARM processors and Linux...
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/inventec-smartbook-almost-makes-me-think-smartbooks-have-a-shot.html

Qualcomm sees big bucks in China's smartbook market

,----[ Quote ]
| It's almost as if Qualcomm's CEO Paul
| Jacobs took a deep breath and looked the
| vast expanse that is Mainland China and
| said to himself; 'There be money in them
| there hills...'. As well there should be.
| Qualcomm is arguably the world's biggest
| producer of ARM-based silicon, the very
| silicon that powers virtually every cell
| phone ever made. Today's statement however
| took some commentators by surprise as it
| was made not in the context of phones, but
| of smartbooks, miniature computers that are
| set to replace Netbooks as the next-big-
| thing in 2010.
|
| [...]
|
| Will Android or Google Chrome OS have a
| part to play? Of course. Will Apple be
| watching with interest? You bet. 'Tis an
| interesting view from here, has to be said.
`----

http://shanzai.com/index.php/market-mayhem/news/442-qualcomm-sees-big-bucks-in-chinas-smartbook-market

Recent:

Qualcomm unveils Lenovo smartbook, new Scorpion chipset

,----[ Quote ]
| At Qualcomm's annual analyst meeting today, the
| company demonstrated a Linux- and Qualcomm
| Snapdragon-based "smartbook" from Lenovo, say
| reports. Qualcomm also announced a new 1GHz
| MSM7x30 smartphone chipset family which
| incorporates the same superscalar Scorpion CPU
| technology as the Snapdragon, and is capable of
| 720p video at 30fps, says Qualcomm.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Qualcomm-Lenovo-smartbook-and-Qualcomm-MSM7230/?kc=rss

Litl Webbook: A Sexy Internet Computer for the Home

,----[ Quote ]
| Litl's operating system is rooted in open
| source -- Ubuntu, to be exact -- but its
| uniqueness lies in the sleek design. When not
| being used as a laptop, users can prop it up
| like an easel then set it to display photos or
| stream content from Weather.com and other
| popular Web sites.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/litl-webbook-a-sexy-internet-computer-for-the-home

[Feature] CES Roundup: Equipment Makers Play for Survival (2)

,----[Quote  ]
| Qualcomm Inc of the US is another hot prospect, exhibiting a notebook PC
| mounting its Snapdragon chipset for mobile equipment (Fig 11). It comes with
| RedFlag Linux and Xandros OS. The mobile phone network support provided by
| Snapdragon can be used for communication. CDMA Technologies vice president
| Mark Frankel of Qualcomm said, "We think this is the first Linux machine in
| the world capable of communication via the 3G network without any add-ons."
| It is expected to ship in the second quarter of 2009.
`----

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20090227/166458/

Qualcomm Runs Android on Netbook Chip

,----[ Quote ]