[News] Openness in Government, Scientific Research (Open Access)

  • Subject: [News] Openness in Government, Scientific Research (Open Access)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:11:57 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Government Data Poster

,----[ Quote ]
| It gives me great pleasure to finally complete
| a design project iâve been tinkering with for
| months, the âhow to open government data(and
| how not to)â poster. It forms the last part of
| Ton Zijlstra and my research project  on open
| government data for for the Ministry of
| Interior Affairs (Ministerie van Binnenlandse
| Zaken en Koninkrijksrelaties).
`----

http://www.lifesized.net/2009/11/08/open-government-data-poster/

Opening up the Black Box of Scientific Research

,----[ Quote ]
| Not quite sure how this will scale, but
| anything whose "fundamental goal" is "to
| render transparent the black-box of scientific
| research" sounds good to me.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/opening-up-black-box-of-scientific.html

Recent:

Measuring Citation Advantages of Open Accessibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past decade, a good number of
| studies have attempted to demonstrate that
| open access journal articles have higher
| citation rates than traditionally published
| ones.1 These open access articles are
| either published in open access journals or
| are made publicly available through open
| access repositories. More methodologically
| sound studies, however, are needed to
| pinpoint more exactly the impact, if any,
| of open accessibility on citation rates and
| to look at the issue of impact (or non-
| impact) more closely. For instance, of
| those journal articles that have been made
| openly accessible, about what percent of
| them benefit from open online availability?
| What percent of them do not?
`----

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november09/soong/11soong.html

Sir Tim: "Public Data is a Public Good"

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/sir-tim-public-data-is-public-good.html

Put in your postcode, out comes the data

,----[ Quote ]
| Government data is a valuable resource that
| we have already paid for. We are not
| talking about personal data but data that
| tells us, for example, about the amount and
| type of traffic on our roads, where the
| accidents are, how much is spent on areas
| where these accidents occur. This is data
| that has already been collected and paid
| for by the taxpayer, and the internet
| allows it to be distributed much more
| cheaply than before. Governments can unlock
| its value by simply letting people use it.
| This is beginning to happen in a number of
| countries, notably in the US under the
| Obama Administration, and in June Gordon
| Brown asked us to advise the Government on
| how to make rapid progress here.
`----

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6920761.ece

Free Culture Forum: Getting it Together

,----[ Quote ]
| As regular readers will know, I write a lot
| about the related areas of openness,
| freedom, transparency and the commons, but
| it's rare to find them literally coming
| together like this, in the Free Culture
| Forum:
|
|     Across the planet, people are
|     recognizing the need for an
|     international space to build and
|     coordinate a common agenda for issues
|     surrounding free culture and access to
|     knowledge. The Free Culture Forum of
|     Barcelona created one such space.
|
| [...]
|
| All-in-all, this is an extraordinary
| document with which I find myself in pretty
| much total agreement. It's an great
| achievement, and will be a real reference
| point for everyone working in the fields of
| digital freedom, openness and transparency
| for years to come.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/free-culture-forum-getting-it-together.html

Access to online information and knowledge â advancing human rights and democracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Information and knowledge are crucial
| factors in human development. We are
| reminded of this constantly, from the
| âknowledge economyâ we live in, to the
| emotional and financial power that
| information and communications
| technologies (ICTs) have over our lives.
| In the words of philosopher Francis Bacon,
| âScientia potentia estâ â knowledge itself
| is power. Present-day movements for access
| to knowledge and the right to information
| have their origins in this simple and
| arguably ancient idea. Despite a rich
| history and wide intellectual acceptance,
| the right to know is not universally
| granted, and the right to know on the
| internet is a particularly bitter struggle
| in many parts of the world.[1]
`----

http://www.cis-india.org/advocacy/ipr/blog/access-to-online-information-and-knowledge

B-Reel goes Open Source to Standardize Digital and Integrated Production

,----[ Quote ]
| As for the open source approach, "we just
| figured it would be easier for everybody
| to contribute via a wiki than by email or
| meetings. We kind of hope that would
| [lead] to getting balanced general terms,
| a unified view on the process and some
| good assets to use for producers. We think
| it will evolve in iterations as an ongoing
| thing, in smaller and smaller movements,
| with more and more focus," Wahlquist says.
| "Whenever there is a substantial addition,
| we'll add it to the bidsheet. We would
| welcome anyone to endorse it, add to it or
| to help in any way."
`----

http://creativity-online.com/news/breel-goes-open-source-to-standardize-digital-and-integrated-production/140585

Jimmy Wales interview: Wikipedia is focusing on accuracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Jimmy Wales is eating dinner alongside
| Princess Caroline of Monaco. Web royalty
| has come to meet the real thing. Wales,
| the man who co-founded Wikipedia eight
| years ago, is in Monaco to be awarded the
| Monaco Media Prize at the principalityâs
| annual invite-only media forum.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6589487/Jimmy-Wales-interview-Wikipedia-is-focusing-on-accuracy.html

100 Excellent Open Access Journals for Educators

,----[ Quote ]
| Just like physicians, the best educators
| stay informed with the latest developments
| in their field. Luckily, it doesnât take
| anything more than time to have access to
| quality journals for educators. The
| following open access journals provide top-
| notch scholarly information available at no
| cost. Most of these journals are published
| just once or a few times a year, so
| subscribe to several so you can keep up-to-
| date on the latest research coming out of
| the field of education.
`----

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2009/11/11/100-excellent-open-access-journals-for-educators/

Free Movies Online: Great Classics, Indies, Film Noir, Documentaries & More

,----[ Quote ]
| Where to watch free movies online? Letâs
| get you started. First, we have listed
| dozens of free, high quality films that you
| can watch online. Then, below, you can find
| movie sites that feature free movie
| collections. Classics, international, film
| noir, documentaries, indies â theyâre all
| here, waiting to be watched.
`----

http://www.openculture.com/2009/11/free_movies_online.html

British Library's Bitter Digital Milestone

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/british-librarys-bitter-digital.html