Re: News Corp. Weighs an Exclusive Alliance With Bing

____/ Phil Da Lick! on Tuesday 24 Nov 2009 16:49 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ____/ nessuno on Tuesday 24 Nov 2009 14:54 : \____
>>
>>> <Quote>
>>> This is not how business has been done on the World Wide Web.
>>>
>>> Microsoft has been in early discussions with the News Corporation, the
>>> media conglomerate controlled by Rupert Murdoch, about a pact to pay
>>> the News Corporation to remove links to its news content from Googleâs
>>> search engine and display them exclusively on Bing...
>>>
>>> If such an arrangement came to pass, it would be a watershed moment in
>>> the history of the Internet, and set off a fierce debate over the
>>> future of content online.
>>>
>>> The Webâs explosive growth has been driven, in part, by the open
>>> playing field it represents for consumers and businesses....
>>>
>>> A broad deal with media companies would be Microsoftâs most drastic
>>> measure to date â one in which it would be running a high-stakes
>>> experiment against Google, which also has deep pockets....
>>>
>>> Thus far, Microsoft has tried to drum up interest in its search
>>> service Bing, introduced in May, by presenting users with a more
>>> colorful interface and, where it can, more detailed results...
>>>
>>> Microsoft has also shown a willingness to tap its vast cash reserves
>>> and pay people who are willing to use its search service in favor of
>>> Googleâs. The company, for example, offers discounts on certain
>>> products that are located through a Bing search and has similar
>>> discount arrangements in place with online stores like eBay....
>>>
>>> Google does pay publishers for content, but in limited ways. For
>>> example, it has a deal with The Associated Press to carry the full
>>> text of its articles....
>>>
>>> To a large degree, however, Microsoftâs action could be seen as
>>> hostile to the traditions of Internet culture. Craig Newmark, the
>>> founder of Craigslist, argued that the Internet had tended to favor
>>> entities willing to share information rather than those trying to
>>> build barriers.
>>>
>>> âThe spirit of the Internet is about people working with each other,
>>> and that is part of the Google ethic. I think this move would
>>> strengthen Google.â
>>> </Quote>
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/technology/internet/24soft.html?_r=1&hpw
>>
>> This must be the "new Microsoft"--a kinder, gentler one.
>

> It's just M$ playing how they always play - using their deep pockets to
> try and choke a competitor's air supply. Personally I think it's going
> to backfire spectacularly - especially on News Corporation.

Good. Fox 'News' needs to die too.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Microsoft loves competition.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property
sense to everything it touches."
		--Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached