[News] New Use Case of Damn Small Linux

Linux Text Processing using Damn Small Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Damn Small Linux can be an excellent tool for
| learning Linux commands and running the Linux
| operating system. But what if you are not
| interested in becoming a computer nerd; can
| this software still be useful to regular
| people? The answer is a resounding yes; you
| can make use of this tiny operating system
| whether or not you want to learn the sometimes
| gruesome details of operating systems. This
| article introduces the text editors that come
| with your free Damn Small Linux that runs on
| even obsolete Windows computers. You can use
| these applications to compose simple text or
| programs of any level of complexity.
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2009/11/26/linux-text-processing-using-damn-small-linux/

Related:

Damn Small Linux - Puppy's small brother

,----[ Quote ]
| I guess I'm biased, but I have a soft spot when it comes to small-size
| distros. I like it when developers have the craftsmanship to bundle lots of
| great stuff into small, highly practical packages, proving that size matters
| not.
|
| [...]
|
| DSL is a very nice little distro. It is fast and stable. Its modest footprint
| makes it ideal for olden computers with antique hardware. And it packs a
| useful bunch of lightweight applications, good enough to serve a broad range
| of users.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dsl.html

DSL - Damn Small Linux 4.4.10 review

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of a survival toolkit, Damn Small Linux could be something of a
| saviour. Earlier this year, this writer used a previous release of the
| distribution to excise a couple of gigabytes of files from an
| otherwise-locked-down Vista installation, and while it didn't save the
| machine concerned from complete reinstall, it did rescue an awful lot of
| data. It did it with no fuss, utter simplicity and earned a lot of
| appreciation as a result.
`----

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s682.htm

Damn Small Linux 4.4.7

,----[ Quote ]
| As the demands of all operating systems increase, Damn Small Linux (DSL) is a
| refreshing change and worth considering by anyone with an old computer. This
| latest version has some updated software and new drivers, while still keeping
| within the 50MB limit.
`----

http://business.pcauthority.com.au/download/damn-small-linux-447.aspx

Damn Small Linux 4.4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Verdict: An excellent operating system
`----

http://business.pcauthority.com.au/download/damn-small-linux-444.aspx

Damn Small Linux 4.4.3

,----[ Quote ]
| As the demands of all operating systems increase, Damn Small Linux (DSL) is a
| refreshing change and worth considering by anyone with an old computer. This
| latest version, 4.2.1, has some updated software and new drivers, while still
| keeping within the 50MB limit.
`----

http://business.pcauthority.com.au/download/damn-small-linux-443.aspx

Available Now: Damn Small Linux 4.4.3 - Contains a few system modifications!

,----[ Quote ]
| Damn Small Linux (DSL) 4.4.3, the versatile mini desktop Linux distribution,
| was announced today by its maintainer, Robert Shingledecker. This new version
| introduces a handful of system modifications...
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Available-Now-Damn-Small-Linux-4-4-3-89566.shtml

Damn Small Linux 4.4 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| DSL 4.4 was just released on June 9th, so this past weekend I installed it on
| my Compaq Deskpro Pentium III 800 Mhz machine. It only has 256 megs of RAM,
| so a lightweight distribution like DSL is a good choice for it. Their site
| claims you can run DSL 486 DX with 16 megs of RAM, so even this old Compaq
| should fly with what itâs got.
|
| [...]
|
| In conclusion, I think DSL is a cool little distribution. DSL is one of the
| two lightweight distros of choice, the other being Puppy Linux. DSL has the
| advantage in the range of packages available when you consider you can add
| Debian Woody repository to the mix.
`----

http://www.penguinway.net/?p=103

Damn Small Linux 4.3

,----[ Quote ]
| As the demands of all operating systems increase, Damn Small Linux (DSL) is a
| refreshing change and worth considering by anyone with an old computer. This
| latest version, 4.2.1, has some updated software and new drivers, while still
| keeping within the 50MB limit.
`----

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2169925/damn-small-linux

Distribution Release: Damn Small Linux 4.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Robert Shingledecker has announced the final release of Damn Small Linux 4.3.
| From the changelog: "Updated Firefox browser to version 2; updated murgaLua
| to  0.6.8; updated nano-tiny to 2.0.7; updated and consolidation of
| mydslBrowser with new mydslBrowser.lua; new picture puzzle added to Games
| collection; new calculator.lua replaces Calcoo; optimized minirt24.gz - much
| smaller; new background and theme for both JWM and Fluxbox; updated 'noicons'
| boot option to suppress icons in JWM; fixed removal of mydsl extensions on
| traditional hard drive installations; dropped SCSI modules for needed space -
| available in the modules section; fixed CD recording scanbus device error by
| adding scsi/sg.o module; updated editor.lua - menu issue resolved for new
| murgaLua version...."
`----

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04852

Damn Small 4.3: Damn fast, too.

,----[ Quote ]
| DSL keeps its spot as my default option for old hardware. This release didn't
| change that. The team managed to throw in small improvements without
| completely changing the way the standard system works, which I liked
`----.

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/damnsmall43.htm

Damn Small Linux 4.2.4

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/download/damn-small-linux-424.aspx