[News] Continued Trend of Opening Up of Data (Open Access, OpenStreetMap)

  • Subject: [News] Continued Trend of Opening Up of Data (Open Access, OpenStreetMap)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:51:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How To Organize A Mapping Party

,----[ Quote ]
| We had a mapping party at NIT Calicut
| recently. After the first day of the event I
| shared some ideas to make such mapping
| parties better with GeoHackers team.
|
| [...]
|
| Maps are created at this stage. The data we
| have mined are ordered, analyzed, and
| tagged. We need to make sure that all the
| team follows a naming convention or comment.
| The coordinator should watch for over
| marking / mis-marking of the same location.
| Once the data is properly tagged, it is time
| to upload it to the OSM server.
`----

http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-organize-mapping-party.html

Why not open flu data?

,----[ Quote ]
| In interesting thread keeps popping up in
| The Globe's reporting on H1N1. As you
| examine the efforts of the federal and
| provincial governments to co-ordinate their
| response to the crisis only one thing
| appears to be more rare than the vaccine
| itself: information.
|
| For example, on Nov. 11, Patrick Brethour
| reported that âThe premiers resolved to
| press the federal government to give them
| more timely information on vaccine supplies
| during their own conference call last
| Friday. Health officials across Canada have
| expressed frustration that Ottawa has been
| slow to inform them about how much vaccine
| provinces and territories will get each
| week.â
`----

http://eaves.ca/2009/11/25/why-not-open-flu-data/

Cfree Takes an Open Source Approach to Telescope Development

,----[ Quote ]
| The components of a standard reflecting
| telescope haven't changed much since Issac
| Newton built the first one more than 300
| years ago -- it's still essentially mirrors
| in a tube. As the technology behind
| telescope development and construction
| advances, however, so does the expense of
| building them. Cfree is a new project aimed
| at using open source principles to make
| reflector technology more accessible to --
| and less expensive for -- the scientific
| community.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/cfree-takes-an-open-source-approach-to-telescope-development

Recent: