[News] FSF Personality Explains Social Aspects and Science in Free Software

  • Subject: [News] FSF Personality Explains Social Aspects and Science in Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:41:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Principles, Social Science, and Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last year, I've been back at MIT
| taking classes, reading extensively, and
| otherwise learning how to act like a social
| scientist. My research goals, which I'm now
| beginning to focus on, are to help build a
| stronger understanding of the social dynamics
| in free software and free culture communities.
|
| With a slightly skeptical view toward my
| involvement with groups like the FSF and my
| work in the FLOSS community, at least one
| academic tried to suggest that taking a
| principled position in favor of software
| freedom might compromise the positivist social
| science research program in which I am
| engaged. "An advocate is too biased," they
| said. After many months of thinking seriously
| about this warning, I believe that this
| criticism can be addressed.
`----

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20091127-00

Recent:

An Interview With Mako

,----[ Quote ]
| My name is Benjamin Mako Hill. I am 28 years
| old, male, and I live in Somerville,
| Massachusetts just outside Boston. My day job
| is doing research at MIT. I am a fellow at the
| MIT Center for Future Civic Media and am
| currently doing work on a PhD somewhere
| between the Sloan School of Management and the
| MIT Media Lab.
`----

http://blog.joeb454.com/2009/10/an-interview-with-mako/

Related:

Benjamin Mako-Hill on Open Source vs. Free, GPL and Prepping for OSCON

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the GPL, the GPL and other copy-left licenses sort of prevent that from
| happening by saying, no; you need to share--you need to insure that the
| freedoms that you had when you received the work are something that can be
| passed on downstream. And that's a tactical decision because the FSF who sort
| of puts out the GPL and continues to modify it--modifies it believes that by
| insuring that the downstream users have freedom and continue to have freedom
| that there will be more freedom overall. The more people that will release
| their stuff as free software, the more people will be encouraged to keep
| things more free in the long run and that ultimately there will be more free
| and open source software as a result. So--and the GPL is designed to protect
| that.
`----

http://news.oreilly.com/2008/06/turner-interviews-mako-hill.html

Talking with Mako - The FSF's newest board member

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/talking_with_mako_the_fsf