[News] GNU/Linux Inspires Hardware Design

Taking an Open-Source Approach to Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| The Arduino represents an early entrant in the
| emerging open-source hardware movement, which
| like Linux and other open-source software
| projects is driven by the belief that allowing
| duplication is a better way to spur innovation
| than keeping designs under lock and key. Its
| success suggests that the open-source model
| could provide a new way for manufacturers to
| develop and improve upon products.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703499404574559960271468066.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Recent:

Sharma: Open Source Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| If the time wasnât ripe for this revolution, news of
| an open-source camera from a university wouldnât have
| made it past the campus science journal. But
| Stanfordâs Frankencamera project is popping up all
| over the radar. The idea is simple â take the
| principles of open-source software and apply them to a
| low-cost assimilation of off-the-shelf camera parts
| tied together with a Linux-based OS thatâs available
| to everyone for modification. Forget proprietary APIs
| and SDKs, this is the holy grail for people that spent
| their school breaks soldering radios.
`----

http://pcplus.techradar.com/node/3130/

Open source camera could pave the way for open source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently a Techrepublic reader sent me a link to this story from Science Daily
| about a professor (Mark Levoy) of computer science at Stanford who is developing
| an open source camera. The article tells the story of a fledgling program,
| Computational Photography, which researches photography to help improve cameras.
| Mr. Levoy developed the camera so that other computational photographers could
| help improve the software.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=914

Frankencamera is open source, runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/09/04/frankencamera-is-open-source-runs-on-linux/