[News] Ubuntu and the Fog Computing Hype Dissected

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu and the Fog Computing Hype Dissected
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:31:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Roll Your Own Ubuntu Private Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, or UEC for short,
| lets you create your own cloud computing
| infrastructure with nothing more than
| whatever commodity hardware you've got that
| already runs Ubuntu Server. It's an
| implementation of the Eucalyptus cloud-
| computing architecture, which is interface-
| compatible with Amazon's own cloud system,
| but could, in theory, support interfaces
| for any number of cloud providers. Since
| Amazon's APIs and cloud systems are broadly
| used and familiar to most people who've
| done work with the cloud, it makes sense to
| start by offering what people already know.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221900737

Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS â Landmark release?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu One continues to go from strength to
| strength.  I have been using it since the
| beta test invite and can see that being
| another decent revenue stream for Canonical
| who appear to have been delivering an out
| of the box platform for many years with
| little reward.
|
| Of course with every Ubuntu release comes
| the promise of faster boot-times, so we are
| not disappointed when we hear that 10.04 is
| aiming for a 10 second boot up and in
| addition to the faster boot times, you can
| guarantee that the calls surrounding âthe
| ugly brown themeâ will start up again!
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/ubuntu-lucid-lynx-10-04lts-landmark-release/

Recent:

How UCSB Grad Students Put Cloud Computing Power into Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud package includes the UCSB-developed Eucalyptus
| cloud-building software -- the first Linux distribution to include a
| do-it-yourself cloud kit. Eucalyptus adds a number of new functions to
| Ubuntu, such as end-user customization, self-service provisioning, legacy
| application support and automated power controls.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Cloud-Computing/How-UCSB-Grad-Students-Put-Cloud-Computing-Power-into-Ubuntu-654425/

Canonical Expands Ubuntu Linux Landscape

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canonical Landscape Ubuntu systems management server is now moving in
| from the cloud with a new dedicated, on-site offering. Previously, the
| Landscape service was only available as a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS),
| cloud-based model. The new Landscape Dedicated Server expands the commercial
| support offerings available for Ubuntu Linux as Canonical ramps up its
| efforts to gain market share against rivals.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3833111/Canonical+Expands+Ubuntu+Linux+Landscape.htm

Canonical Systems Management and Monitoring Tool Adds Dedicated Server

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=221

Canonical to Offer Ubuntu Desktop Support and Services

Open Source or Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, many cloud providers run their environments on open source
| software, so many cloud customers will end up indirectly using open source as
| well. But when seeking faster, cheaper solutions, organizations will need to
| examine the pros and cons of going with an on-premise open source solution,
| versus a pay-as-you-go cloud solution.  This may be the next big software
| question of the new decade around the corner.
`----

http://www.insurancenetworking.com/news/insurance_technology_open_source_cloud_computing_SaaS-12731-1.html

Stallman vs. Clouds

,----[ Quote ]