[News] Takeover of MySQL by Oracle Defended by Some, FUDed by Others

  • Subject: [News] Takeover of MySQL by Oracle Defended by Some, FUDed by Others
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:18:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open-source culture at heart of Oracle deal

,----[ Quote ]
| But like most open-source companies, MySQLâs
| sales, tied to support deals, never matched
| the astronomical number of downloads for its
| product, about 60,000 a day. In January 2008,
| the founders decided to sell the company for
| $1 billion to Sun Microsystems. And this
| year, Sun agreed to sell itself to Oracle,
| which makes database software aimed at larger
| companies and tougher jobs, for $7.4 billion.
`----

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/companies/open-source-culture-heart-oracle-deal-702

Open Source as a Model for Business Is Elusive

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, disagreement over the value of MySQL â
| both as a stand-alone entity and as part of a
| big company â lies at the heart of a bitter
| public battle between Oracle and the European
| Union over the Sun acquisition. The fight
| illuminates a larger truth about open-source
| companies: their societal and strategic
| importance far exceeds their financial value
| as operating businesses.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/technology/business-computing/30open.html?_r=1

Are open source programmers fools and suckers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Analyst and consultant Josh Greenbaum has
| criticised the European Commissionâs view
| that Oracle should jettison MySQL. Part of
| his argument is that MySQL canât die because
| it is open source â and, Greenbaum says, this
| means there is no end of suckers willing to
| maintain it for free.
|
| [...]
|
| In part, open source software isnât about
| money. Young Finnish student Linus Torvalds
| certainly wasnât thinking âhow can I monetise
| this?â when he posted his now-famous Usenet
| post that heâd made a rudimentary Linux-like
| kernel.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29698/1141/

Recent: