[News] More Opening of Data in Education

Contest drives genetic engineering advances

,----[ Quote ]
| MIT's 2009 International Genetically
| Engineered Machine (iGEM) competition has
| yielded an open source, Internet-based
| cellular engineering program to assist in
| synthetic biology design, and software tools
| for creation and assembly of DNA-sequence
| parts.
`----

http://www.fiercebiotechit.com/story/contest-drives-genetic-engineering-advances/2009-11-28

Online university of hope

,----[ Quote ]
| "The concept is great, and one we'll see more
| and more," says Peter Scott, director of the
| Knowledge Media Institute at Britain's Open
| University, which provides free access to
| course materials through the OpenLearn
| website.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/online-university-of-hope-20091127-jvuu.html

Big advantages in schoolbooks going digital

,----[ Quote ]
| Digital textbooks are on the way to Texas
| public schools, perhaps as soon as next fall.
| As reported by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
| in our Nov. 23 edition, the state Legislature
| has already passed two bills allowing the
| Texas Education Agency to create a repository
| of online textbook content. The agency is
| seeking bids from both online and traditional
| publishers and planning to have the first
| open-source textbooks available to students
| in the fall of 2010.
`----

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/nov/30/big-advantages-schoolbooks-going-digital/

Budding authors publish own work online and in print

,----[ Quote ]
| Self-publishing on the internet has given
| many budding writers a platform where their
| work can be shared with the world.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/8382626.stm

Recent:

German government to host flu database

,----[ Quote ]
| The German Ministry of Food, Agriculture &
| Consumer Protection (BMELV) today announced
| that it has agreed to host the influenza
| gene sequence database of the Global
| Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data
| (GISAID), putting its future on a more solid
| footing as the world enters the second wave
| of the H1N1 flu pandemic.
`----

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/swineflu/news/oct2009gisaid.html

EU Bookshop Digital Library goes live - All the EU publications in one place

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://publications.europa.eu/eu_bookshop/eub3/index_en.htm