[News] Neat Explanation of Why ODF Should be Used for All Communication

  • Subject: [News] Neat Explanation of Why ODF Should be Used for All Communication
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:30:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open formats over open words

,----[ Quote ]
| There are some file formats which are published,
| open standards. Portable Document Format (PDF)
| is one you've probably heard of. HyperText
| Markup Language (HTML) is another. OpenDocument
| Format (ODF) is an ISO international standard,
| and the tools to use that format are free. But
| there are other file formats which are
| proprietary, and can only be edited natively in
| one specific application. The formats used by
| Microsoft Word (DOC and lately DOCX) come to
| mind. WordPerfect (WPS) is another program which
| uses a proprietary file format to store
| information.
|
| If I receive a PDF or HTML file, I can open it
| in a wide variety of applications, some of which
| are both well designed and obtainable for free.
| But if I'm sent a WPS or DOCX, I need the
| specific application that was used to create the
| file to open it reliably. Requiring me to have
| certain computer software doesn't seem very
| inclusive. âBut everybody has Microsoft Word!â
| you might be thinking to yourself. Is that the
| same âeverybodyâ who celebrates Christmas? Think
| about that.
`----

http://imprint.uwaterloo.ca/2009/nov/27/opinion/open-formats-over-open-words/

Recent:

Two conferences about ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| In the week of November 2nd I travelled to a
| little village in Italy called Orvieto. The
| reason for going to this lovely town is two
| conferences in a row.
| The first one is the OpenDocument plugfest. | The second is the openOffice.org conference,
| both of which were new experiences for me.
| The ODF plugfest is a meeting where
| different implementors of a standard come
| together and come up with user scenarios and
| test how well they port between the
| implementations.
| So youâll see a document created in KWord
| being opened in OpenOffice.org and Microsoft
| Office and investigations started when the
| resuls are not as expected.
`----

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/11/19/two-conferences-about-odf/

European governments help increase ODF interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| Representatives from three European member
| states, Italy, Belgium and the
| Netherlands, took part in the second Open
| Document Format (ODF) interoperability
| workshop held in the Italian town of
| Orvieto at the beginning of this month.
|
| Fabio Pistella, president of Italy's
| Center for ICT in Public Administrations
| (CNIPA), in his opening address told the
| attendees of the workshop that Italy is
| about to start a three-year promotion
| campaign on open source software, writes
| Roberto Gallopini, one of the organisers
| of the ODF workshop on his web blog.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/european-governments-help-increase-odf-interoperability

Danish Municipality of RÃdovre Expects Open Office To Reduce Costs Over Long Term

,----[ Quote ]
| The municipality announced on 6 November
| 2009 that, as from the next week, it will
| start to use OpenOffice, alongside its
| proprietary alternative. However, the
| municipality plans to fully move to
| OpenOffice eventually.
|
| RÃdovre has installed OpenOffice on seven
| hundred desktop PCs.
|
| The municipality's move to OpenOffice was
| announced at the annual OpenOffice
| conference 'OOoCon 2009' which took place
| in Orvieto, Italy, from 3 to 6 November
| 2009. At the conference, Leif Lodahl, a
| volunteer project manager for the Danish
| OpenOffice project, gave a presentation on
| the integration of existing document
| management tools with OpenOffice: "Moving
| to OpenOffice improves control over the
| documents and allows the municipality to
| automatically convert relevant documents
| to PDF."
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/30938

Stylus Studio 2010 Suite Now Available

,----[ Quote ]
| Product highlights include new visual
| mapping of relational data sources; new
| XQuery code refactoring functionality;
| increased support for several EDI data
| formats; SOAP 1.2 support; and new
| integrated data sources including ZIP,
| Javaâ Archive (JAR), Microsoft Open Office
| and OpenDocument.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Ivi-Technologies-Inc-1077886.html

ODFDOM 0.7 Released