[News] Android (Linux) Phones Selling Very Fast

  • Subject: [News] Android (Linux) Phones Selling Very Fast
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:49:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Droid Nears Its Million-Device Target

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola and Verizonâs $100 million marketing
| push seems to be paying off: The much-
| ballyhooed Droid smartphone made by Motorola
| and powered by Googleâs Android 2.0 OS is
| inching toward its goal of a million devices
| sold during the fourth quarter of 2009. The
| two companies have thus far sold between
| 700,000 and 800,000 Droids, according to data
| collected by RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark
| Sue.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/11/30/droid-q4-sales/

HD-ready smartphone supports Linux and Android

,----[ Quote ]
| ZiiLabs announced a mid-range smartphone
| development platform supporting its Android
| and Linux-based "Plaszma" stacks. The Zii
| Trinity is based on ZiiLabs' dual ARM9-core
| "ZMS-05" SoC, and provides 1080p video
| output, OpenGL graphics, HSDPA, WiFi,
| Bluetooth, GPS, and a 3.1-inch, 800 x 480
| OLED touchscreen, says the Creative
| Technology subsidiary.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Zii-Trinity/?kc=rss

Optus deliberately blocking Android paid apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Optus is blocking owners of Android mobile
| phones from buying paid apps from the Android
| store, while locking users into long service
| contracts.
`----

http://apcmag.com/optus-deliberately-blocking-android-paid-apps.htm

Recent:

Android to dominate

,----[ Quote ]
| Already Android is making inroads into the
| smartphone market and analysts are predicting
| that by 2012 it will be the number 2 operating
| system behind Symbian. Along the way
| Microsoft's Windows Mobile will lose huge
| ground as will RIM's Blackberry and Palm's
| Pre. The only OS likely to stay steady during
| this time will be Apple's iPhone.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Cellular/10595.html

Android Gets Unofficial Pornographic App Store

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the Android OS is completely open
| source, that means there are not restrictions
| of any kind for anything, including porn.
| Thatâs why a company called MiKandi has taken
| the liberty to create and launch an unofficial
| app store for adult content only for mobile
| Android devices.
`----

http://erictric.com/entertainment/android-gets-unofficial-pornographic-app-store

Android Gaining on Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, Financial Times reporter Chris
| Nuttall claims, Android could soon emerge
| as the major smartphone that isn't the
| iPhone. Android systems now operate on 12
| different phones with 32 phone carriers
| supporting them around the world. And
| Motorola, HTC, and Samsung are all busy
| developing their own Android-based
| handsets.
`----

http://www.thebigmoney.com/blogs/feeling-lucky/2009/10/26/android-gaining-microsoft

O'Brien: Why I was wrong about Google's Android

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time for me to do a mea culpa on
| Android.
|
| Google unveiled plans for its mobile
| operating system about two years ago, and
| rolled out the first phone based on
| Android about a year later. In both cases,
| I predicted doom.
|
| But I was wrong.
|
| I finally came to terms with this the
| other day while watching one of those
| suddenly ubiquitous "iDon't" ads on TV. If
| you haven't seen one, the ads slam the
| shortcomings of the iPhone ("iDon't have
| interchangeable batteries") while
| trumpeting the pending arrival of the
| Droid sometime in November.
|
| In this case, Droid is a smart-phone built
| by Motorola for Verizon that uses Android.
| Add those three corporate behemoths
| together, and you have some serious
| marketing dollars available to push this
| thing, whatever it actually turns out to
| be.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13653910

Should Microsoft fear invasion of the Androids?

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source Android operating system
| is gaining momentum, and Microsoft has
| been slow to respond, says a New York
| Times report.
`----

http://sprintconnection.kansascity.com/?q=node/1285

Android 2.0: The iPhone killer at last?

,----[ Quote ]
| In its three years, the iPhone has
| redefined the mobile device. But despite
| the iPhone's popularity, it is by no means
| certain to become the mobile equivalent of
| Windows, the dominant platform that
| defines our experience of a particular
| technology, as well as the business
| choices that surround it.
|
| Google's Android 2.0 OS is the latest in a
| series of mobile offerings seeking to
| derail the iPhone's momentum. Backed by
| heavyweights Google, Motorola, Verizon
| Wireless, Acer, and other big-name
| manufacturers, Android could potentially
| knock the iPhone down a peg. After all,
| while users love the iPhone, Apple's
| controlling tendencies have frustrated
| developers, and its disrespect for
| business concerns have frustrated IT.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140079/Android_2.0_The_iPhone_killer_at_last_?taxonomyId=75

Motorola DROID: A Sleek and Powerful Android Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| The Motorola DROID is the first Android
| 2.0 device, and like other excellent
| competing smartphones it is being
| advertised as an iPhone-killer. With its
| sleek look and powerful features, I think
| it could become as successful as the RAZR
| and possibly surpass iPhoneâs popularity.
| But it will depend on whether or not its
| OS can really deliver the goods.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/11/motorola-droid-sleek-and-powerful.html

Verizon Droid Targets iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| After a series of teaser ads that attack
| Apple's iPhone, Verizon Wireless and
| Motorola officially unveiled Wednesday the
| Droid smartphone.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/telecom/business/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221100111

What's new in Android 2.0? Part 1: User features

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=1436

Hands on with the Motorola Droid: Sexy

,----[ Quote ]
| Here you are, friends and Romans, the
| Motorola Droid from Verizon, the phone
| youâve been salivating over for the past
| few months. Itâs now sitting quietly on
| the desk next to me, wondering where you
| are. The Droid wants you.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/28/hands-on-with-the-motorola-droid-sexy/

A Taste of Android's Freshly Baked Eclair

,----[ Quote ]
| Android 2.0, nicknamed "Eclair," will make
| its big entrance on the Droid next month,
| and other handsets are sure to follow.
| Version 2.0 brings a set of new features
| to the table, including native support for
| Microsoft Exchange. However, the wide-open
| Android ecosystem may be prone to
| fragmentation as the underlying platform
| grows in strength and ability.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68516.html?wlc=1257068050

Motorola Dext Android smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Indeed, the Dext has a gorgeous touchscreen,
| a fine Qwerty keyboard, good browser plus a
| reasonable camera and media players. User
| friendly, it offers plenty of potential for
| personalisation, along with growing range of
| apps plus Motoblur's ability to keep you up
| to the second with your social networks.
| After the last few years of underwhelming
| variations on a Razr theme, Motorola has
| made a serious attempt to knock back the
| doubters with the Dext and, in all honesty,
| we're a little surprised that it has come up
| with such a strong offering.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/29/review_phone_motorola_dext_mb200_android_smartphone/

Android Apps Amping Up

,----[ Quote ]
| The red-hot smartphone sector is posed to
| get even hotter as competition grows with
| two signature releases due out in coming
| days -- Verizon's Droid and BlackBerry
| Storm2 -- along with new indications that
| Android is making huge gains on the mobile
| software front.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/mobility/article.php/3845756/Android+Apps+Amping+Up.htm

Google releases features and updates of its forthcoming Android 2.0 platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source Google Android operating
| system, which was introduced by the Open
| Handset Alliance in November of 2007, will
| have its successor Android 2.0 appear for
| the first time on the Verizon's Motorola
| Droid smartphone, reportedly to be released
| on November 6, 2009.
`----

http://topnews.us/content/27956-google-releases-features-and-updates-its-forthcoming-android-20-platform

Android completes jump to 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Android 2.0 - also known as
| Eclair for some reason - will allow users to
| sync their devices to a number of different
| contact sources, as well as allowing
| something called âQuick Contact' to be
| embedded within an application. The new
| Bluetooth API is expected to facilitate
| peer-to-peer activities like gaming.
`----

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20893

Verizon Droid's Secret Weapon: Android 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, Verizon did sort of put that on
| the iDon't list, just not in those words.
| The original iDon't list includes both
| âiDon't allow open development' and âiDon't
| customize', both of which imply that the
| Droid does those things which means the
| Droid provides a customizable, open
| development platform that business customers
| can work with.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/174566/verizon_droids_secret_weapon_android_20.html

Is Google Faking the Open-Source Funk?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some folks are claiming that Google is
| faking the open-source funk by not being as
| open as it could be about Android.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Is-Google-Faking-the-Open-Source-Funk-415208/

Moto Android 2.0 smartphone revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorolaâs upcoming Android smartphone has
| finally been revealed in a set of front-and-back
| pictures published online.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/19/moto_droid/

Android based e-reader tips up

,----[ Quote ]
| SPRING DESIGN has taken the wraps off the Duet
| Navigator, a dual-screen e-book reader that runs
| the Android OS and offers both a text reader and
| a web browser.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1559033/android-reader-tips

Two Unexpected, Potential Scenarios for Android

,----[ Quote ]
| We've done a number of posts lately on the
| incredible momentum that the open source
| Android operating system has. It's being
| supported by nearly every major smartphone
| maker, with players such as Acer and Motorola
| putting huge bets behind it. Acer's new
| "Liquid" Android smartphone has the trendy
| Snapdragon chip from Qualcomm built in, a sign
| that the OS could boost the prospects of
| cutting-edge new processors.
|
| [...]
|
| Scenario 2: An Android Foundation? ZDNet asks
| the excellent question, "Should Google Spin
| Android Into a Foundation?" Foundations, such
| as the Apache Foundation, can have an
| enormously positive impact on open source
| platforms and applications. But ZDnet's Dana
| Blankenhorn points this out: "It doesnât
| always work. Witness LiMo, which Motorola
| recently abandoned for Android. Witness
| Moblin, which Intel gave to the Linux
| Foundation. Witness Symbian itself for that
| matter." He also points out that foundations
| lead to lots of forks, which raises the
| possibility of problems like the ones cited in
| scenario one above. Would an Android
| foundation necessarily be good? What do you
| think?
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/two-unexpected-potential-scenarios-for-android

Acer reveals specs of Android smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has disclosed more details about its
| upcoming Android-based Liquid smartphone, a
| thin device with a 3.5-inch touchscreen.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/101509-acer-reveals-specs-of-android.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Related:

Marvell Joins Open Handset Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Marvell believes that this open platform will spark innovation and empower
| developers to create revolutionary applications and accelerate the delivery
| of those applications to mobile users," said Marty Schroeder, Vice President
| of Marvell's Cellular and Handheld Business Group.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/14064/marvell-joins-open-handset-alliance

ARM Announces Support for Open Handset Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM has been working with the open Android platform for some time and is
| committed to delivering a rich mobile experience based on the platform. As
| part of this relationship, ARM will contribute its ARMv6 and ARMv7
| architecture-based OpenMax DL libraries and insight on the ARM(R) CPU and ARK
| Mali(TM) GPU architectures to the Android Open Source Project
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ARM-Announces-Support-Open-Handset/story.aspx?guid=%7B3363CD9A-12B1-441F-B770-1E846316D681%7D

T-Mobile and Google cozy up with Android

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/04/26/t-mobile-and-google-cozy-up-with-android