[News] More Linux Devices and BSPs Debut

Cortex-A8 module ships with baseboard, Linux BSP

,----[ Quote ]
| Direct Insight is readying a SODIMM-sized
| computer-on-module (COM) based on
| Freescale's ARM Cortex-A8 i.MX51 system-on-
| chip. The 800MHz, 2.7 x 1.0-inch Triton-
| TX51 module offers extensive I/O, including
| Ethernet and USB 2.0 On-The-Go and host,
| plus an available "StarterKit-5" baseboard
| with a Linux BSP, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Direct-Insights-TritonTX51/?kc=rss

Sensor mote platform offers Linux IDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Libelium announced a ZigBee-enabled
| wireless mote-sensor platform with open
| source code and a Linux-compatible IDE. The
| Waspmote runs on an Atmel microcontroller,
| boasts low 0.7uA power consumption,
| provides 2.4GHz, 900MHz, and 868MHz radios,
| and offers add-ons for GPS, GPRS, and SD,
| as well as gas, events, and prototyping
| sensors.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Libelium-Waspmote/?kc=rss

Pogoplug: A wolf in sheep's clothing

,----[ Quote ]
| Allow me to explain: Hidden inside the
| Pogoplug is a 1.2GHz Marvell ARM SOC RISC
| processor and 256MB of RAM and 512MB of
| internal flash storage. On this neat little
| package runs a stripped-down Linux distro
| with the 2.6.22.18 kernel.
|
| Here's what the Pogoplug does: You power up
| the device, plug in an Ethernet cable,
| connect a nerd stick or a USB HDD drive
| (USB or externally-powered) and then browse
| to my.pogoplug.com where you create an
| account giving your e-mail address and
| selecting a password.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141779/Pogoplug_A_wolf_in_sheep_s_clothing

Related:

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS

Embedded Linux research report ships

,----[ Quote ]