[News] Governments of Holland and Latvia Move on to More Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Governments of Holland and Latvia Move on to More Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:08:57 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NL: Government to increase open source in key IT projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Dutch government wants to increase the
| use of open standards and source in some
| of its key IT projects, minister for
| Foreign Trade Frank Heemkskerk said
| yesterday. "There is not enough progress
| in the uptake of this type of software",
| said Heemskerk. "We need more
| perseverance. Using this type of software
| should be a social objective of public
| administrations."
|
| Heemskerk announced he would approach the
| other ministers in the cabinet to urge
| them to adopt open standards and open
| source applications. "I will chase my
| colleagues responsible for health care,
| for social security and for education."
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/nl-government-to-increase-open-source-in-key-it-projects

LV: Ministry of Education approves open source software for schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source can be used to teach computer
| science classes to secondary school
| pupils, Latvia's ministry of Education
| announced on Tuesday.
|
| The ministry bases its conclusion on the
| work of a group of experts, industry
| association representatives, ministry
| officials and school representatives. The
| group in August started looking for open
| source applications that could be used for
| computer science classes.
|
| According to the group open source
| software will be able to fulfil all
| requirements of the computer education
| curriculum in primary and secondary
| schools.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/lv-ministry-of-education-approves-open-source-software-for-schools

Recent:

Dutch Government To Provide Open Source Software Tools To
Help European Businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| The Dutch Government is about to publish as
| open source OS Toolbox PSC, a set of
| software tools that EU member states can
| use to offer or improve their points of
| single contact for entrepreneurs that want
| to start business or offer their services
| anywhere in the EU. The software will be
| made available on the OSOR Forge, the open
| source software repository and development
| platform of the European Commission.
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/31580

Rafael MartÃn Espada, CIO, Government of Extremadura. Spain Says
Open Source Is Critical For Development

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/31444