[News] Intellectual Monopolies Get on More People's Nerves

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Get on More People's Nerves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 02:44:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Artists To National Gallery Of Canada: 'Pay Us Again And Again And Again!'

,----[ Quote ]
| Rose M. Welch writes in to point to the
| latest example of entitlement culture gone
| wrong. Apparently, two groups representing
| artists in Canada, The Canadian Artists'
| Representation, known as CARFAC, and the
| Regroupement des artistes en arts visuels
| du Quebec (RAAV), have filed a complaint
| against the National Gallery in Canada. The
| National Gallery already pays artists an
| exhibition fee to display their art. But,
| CARFAC and RAAV think that the National
| Gallery needs to pay them multiple times
| for the same artworks, because the Gallery
| also uses some of the artwork it displays
| in brochures, catalogs and other offerings.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091204/0021227195.shtml

SOCAN Wants To Charge Buskers Performance Fees

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember how one collection society wanted
| to charge a woman because she put on music
| for her horses? Or how about the woman who
| worked in a grocery store, who was told to
| stop singing while stock the shelves, or
| the store would have to pay a performance
| fee. And, of course, we had ASCAP trying to
| claim that ringtones were performances, and
| mobile operators needed to pay up -- beyond
| the license fee that was already paid on
| the recording.
|
| SOCAN, up in Canada, has been no exception,
| pushing for drastically increased rates
| that cover new places as well. But the most
| ridiculous may be the one sent in by a few
| people (Jesse was the first) about how
| SOCAN is trying to get buskers -- street
| musicians -- to pay a performance fee if
| they perform in SkyTrain stations in
| Vancouver. SOCAN is claiming that
| TransLink, the transit authority for the
| trains in Vancouver should be paying up to
| $40,000 in performance fees for all the
| buskers singing in stations, and
| TransLink's response is to pass those fees
| on to the buskers.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091206/2331077230.shtml

Sherman Alexie â A Study in Misunderstanding

,----[ Quote ]
| Piracy didnât destroy the music industry.
| There has yet to be a study which shows
| piracy had any more of an impact on the
| music industry than the following: 9/11,
| the rise of the video game as a cultural
| phenomenon, the transition towards HDTV,
| the rise of MySpace, or the iPod. Each of
| these items are tied together in a way much
| more convoluted than the music industry
| would like to admit.
|
| The major labels were first through the
| door when it came to the digital
| transition, and they came in still fat from
| the profits of the shift from LP and
| cassette to compact disc. They stumbled and
| fell, and file-sharing (often used in
| analog settings to build an artists career)
| became the boogie man of the digital
| switch.
`----

http://www.fictionmatters.com/2009/12/07/sherman-alexie-a-study-in-misunderstanding/comment-page-1/

Yesterday(ish):

Drug-Makers Paying Off Competitors To Keep Cheap Generics Off Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Republicans and their allies in the business
| community talk a good game about the virtues
| of free-market competition. But, as we've
| seen in the debate over the public option,
| that stance often goes out the window when
| corporate profits are at stake.
|
| And now we've got another example -- one of
| the sleaziest and most blatantly self-serving
| yet.
`----

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/drug-makers_paying_off_competitors_to_keep_cheap_g.php?ref=fpa

Pay-For-Delay Agreements Again Show How Pharma Abuses Patent Law To Harm Us All

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091204/0026397198.shtml