[News] ACTA Conspirator Says ACTA Too Nasty to be Seen Publicly

  • Subject: [News] ACTA Conspirator Says ACTA Too Nasty to be Seen Publicly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:17:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ambassador Kirk: People would be âwalking away from the
tableâ if the ACTA text is made public

,----[ Quote ]
| I said that it was untrue that IPR
| negotiations are normally secret, mentioning
| as examples that drafts of the other IPR
| texts, including the proposed WIPO treaty
| for disabilities and the climate change
| agreement language on IPR, as well as
| several drafts of the FTAA text and the 1996
| WIPO copyright treaties had been public.
| Kirk said that ACTA âwas differentâ and the
| topics being negotiated in ACTA were âmore
| complex.â
|
| I brought up to Kirk that the USTR had shown
| ACTA text to dozens of corporate lobbyists
| and all of its trading partners in the ACTA
| negotiation, and the text was only secret
| from the public. Kirk did say USTR was
| discussing this issue with the White House
| and its trading partners, but that was about
| all he could say at that moment.
`----

http://keionline.org/node/706

Canadian Recording Industry Hit With $6 Billion Copyright Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| Chet Baker was a leading jazz musician in
| the 1950s, playing trumpet and providing
| vocals. Baker died in 1988, yet he is about
| to add a new claim to fame as the lead
| plaintiff in possibly the largest copyright
| infringement case in Canadian history.  His
| estate, which still owns the copyright in
| more than 50 of his works, is part of a
| massive class-action lawsuit that has been
| underway for the past year.
|
| The infringer has effectively already
| admitted owing at least $50 million and the
| full claim could exceed $6 billion. If the
| dollars donât shock, the target of the
| lawsuit undoubtedly will: The defendants in
| the case are Warner Music Canada, Sony BMG
| Music Canada, EMI Music Canada, and
| Universal Music Canada, the four primary
| members of the Canadian Recording Industry
| Association.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4595/159/

French Government's Plan To Help Book Publishers Adapt: Have Them Embrace Three Strikes Plan

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091204/0029347201.shtml

Recent:

MPAA Says Copyright-Treaty Critics Hate Hollywood

,----[ Quote ]
| Dan Glickman, the MPAAâs chairman, informs
| lawmakers that millions of film-related
| jobs are in peril because of internet
| piracy. Simply put, those who donât back
| the proposed Anti-Counterfeiting and Trade
| Agreement donât support intellectual
| property rights, he wrote.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/mpaa-acta-letter/

No, ACTA Secrecy Is Not 'Normal' -- Nor Is It A 'Distraction'

,----[ Quote ]
| A second point they make is that if the end
| result is really bad, countries can simply
| decide not to sign it and not to
| participate. Yes, stop laughing. It's as if
| they think that we're all idiots who
| haven't seen how lobbyists have
| historically relied on the line "but we
| must live up to our international
| obligations" to push through all sorts of
| laws the public does not support.

Will secret copyright treaty restrict your digital rights?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.macworld.com/article/143986/2009/11/acta_treaty.html

No, ACTA Secrecy Is Not 'Normal' -- Nor Is It A 'Distraction'

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last few weeks people who are
| actually concerned about individual rights
| have done a decent job sounding the alarm
| about the problems with what little we've
| seen of the ACTA negotiations. In the last
| week or so, those who work for the
| entertainment industry have suddenly started
| scrambling to respond, after realizing that
| more and more people are starting to pay
| attention and to worry about ACTA. However,
| it's been pretty funny to watch the
| desperate attempts by industry lawyers to
| try to paint this all as much ado about
| nothing (with gratuitous swipes at those of
| us who have called attention to what's going
| on).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091119/1904177017.shtml

Stopping the ACTA Juggernaut

,----[ Quote ]
| The ACTA juggernaut continues to roll ahead,
| despite public indignation about an
| agreement supposedly about counterfeiting
| that has turned into a regime for global
| Internet regulation. The Office of the
| United States Trade Representative (USTR)
| has already announced that the next round of
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)
| negotiations will take place in January â
| with the aim of concluding the deal "as soon
| as possible in 2010."
|
| For the rest of us, with access to only
| leaks and whispers of what ACTA is about,
| there are many troubling questions. How can
| such a radical proposal legally be kept so
| secret from the millions of Net users and
| companies whose rights and freedoms stand to
| be affected? Who decides what becomes the
| law of the land and by what influence? Where
| is the public oversight for an agreement
| that would set the legal rules for the
| knowledge economy? And what can be done to
| fix this runaway process?
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/11/stopping-acta-juggernaut

USA Treaty Priorities?