[News] Privacy Not Honoured in the EU Anymore, Yahoo! Sells Snoops

  • Subject: [News] Privacy Not Honoured in the EU Anymore, Yahoo! Sells Snoops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 02:10:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Does the EU-Commission use Google Analytics?

,----[ Quote ]
| And if so, does this constitute a national
| security risk? I am just asking because
| even in private sector operations often
| passionate citizens approach us with
| concerns when we use Google Analytics. I
| am curious if the European Data Protection
| Supervisor website also uses Google
| Analyticsâ
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/does-the-eu-commission-use-google-analytics/

EU Chemical Agency and the Analytics trojan

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonder how a public authority can make a
| company use the traffic information of its
| visitors for commercial analysis purposes.
| So in other words, a European Union body
| allows a company from a third nation to
| record traffic data, to spy on the use of
| its government websites and hand it out to
| third nation authorities.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/eu-chemical-agency-and-the-analytics-trojan/

Google chief: Only miscreants worry about net privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're concerned about Google retaining
| your personal data, then you must be doing
| something you shouldn't be doing. At least
| that's the word from Google CEO Eric
| Schmidt.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/07/schmidt_on_privacy/

Yahoo, Verizon: Our Spy Capabilities Would âShockâ, âConfuseâ Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| Want to know how much phone companies and
| internet service providers charge to
| funnel your private communications or
| records to U.S. law enforcement and spy
| agencies?
|
| Thatâs the question muckraker and Indiana
| University graduate student Christopher
| Soghoian asked all agencies within the
| Department of Justice, under a Freedom of
| Information Act (FOIA) request filed a few
| months ago. But before the agencies could
| provide the data, Verizon and Yahoo
| intervened and filed an objection on
| grounds that, among other things, they
| would be ridiculed and publicly shamed
| were their surveillance price sheets made
| public.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/wiretap-prices/

ECPA Protections Don't Apply Outside United States

,----[ Quote ]
| Along the way, the court rejected public
| policy arguments in support of the
| plaintiffs' claims for ECPA protection. It
| rejected as well the contention that the
| ECPA applied because the electronic
| communications disclosed by Yahoo! China
| "may" have traveled through Yahoo!'s
| domestic network. Prior cases under the
| Wiretap Act, Stowe v. Devoy, 588 F.2d 336
| (2d Cir. 1978), for example, have ruled
| that cross-border phone calls intercepted
| in Canada were not subject to the Wiretap
| Act.
`----

http://pblog.bna.com/techlaw/2009/12/ecpa-protections-dont-apply-outside-united-states.html

Recent:

SWIFT - EU to grant USA nearly unlimited access to all EU banking data

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://brusselsblogger.blogactiv.eu/2009/11/26/swift-eu-to-grant-usa-nearly-unlimited-access-to-all-eu-banking-data/