[News] Olswang Summit Covers Free Software, European Schools Gravitate Towards Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Olswang Summit Covers Free Software, European Schools Gravitate Towards Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:17:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Olswang Open Source Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| On 1st December Olswang held their third
| and final Open Source Summit in London.
| For one reason or another I'd been unable
| to attend the 2007 and 2008 events and was
| glad to last week be finally able to make
| it along. Olswang are a law firm and so as
| you would expect the summit focused on
| open source legal matters. We were treated
| to a keynote from Bruce Perens and the
| overall quality of the event was very
| high. Numerous topics were covered over
| the course of the morning and a few notes
| follow.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/content/olswang-open-source-summit

ES: Cenatic campaign: ten reasons for using open source in education

,----[ Quote ]
| Using open source software offers schools
| a unique opportunity to advance the
| information society that is fair and free,
| says Cenatic, Spain's resource centre on
| open source and open standards.
|
| Cenatic on Friday published a brochure
| 'Ten reasons for using open source in
| education', meant to show the country's
| autonomous regions the benefits of open
| source software, and to ensure they
| consider the use of this type of software
| when schools modernise their programs.
|
| The brochure will be sent to all of
| Spain's secondary schools.
|
| In favour of free and open source software
| are objective arguments, technical, social
| and cultural, explains Miguel Jaque,
| Cenatic's director in a statement. "Open
| source is a model in itself, free,
| democratic, sustainable and
| technologically competitive. It helps to
| educate people to be free, independent and
| critical and shows them that they are able
| make their own technological choices."
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/es-cenatic-campaign-ten-reasons-for-using-open-source-in-education

Recent:

An Open Source Tool for Every Task

,----[ Quote ]
| For the last several years, Iâve organized
| sessions on open source software (OSS) at ed-
| tech conferences. But this year was markedly
| different, with an awareness of these tools
| among educators that Iâd never seenâa result,
| perhaps, of restrictive school budgets (there
| are no licensing fees with OSS). There may
| also be a growing understanding of the concept
| of open source, in which contributors, who do
| not expect compensation for their efforts,
| write software for which the actual
| programming code is âopenâ and freely
| available. Personally, I think that Wikipedia
| has made a big difference. While the online
| reference isnât software, but rather âopen
| content,â Wikipedia demonstrates the potential
| of volunteer contributors to create a serious
| project for the benefit of all.
`----

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6708207.html?industryid=47078

DE: Open source professorship at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/de-open-source-professorship-at-university-of-erlangen-nuremberg