[News] Open Access, Open Government and Open Data Celebrate Many Wins

  • Subject: [News] Open Access, Open Government and Open Data Celebrate Many Wins
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:44:25 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Access, Intellectual Property, and How Biotechnology Becomes a New Software Science

http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.1262

Obama's open-government director opens up

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday morning, the Obama
| administration formally unveiled its Open
| Government directive, an effort aimed at
| weaving the philosophies of openness,
| transparency and participation into the
| DNA of the federal government and its
| agencies.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10411479-52.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

White House to release new gov't data collections

,----[ Quote ]
| The White House on Tuesday instructed
| every federal agency to publish before the
| end of January at least three collections
| of "high value" government data on the
| Internet that never have been previously
| disclosed, an ambitious order to make the
| administration as transparent as President
| Barack Obama had promised it would be.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gvUu8X07cIy9kxTDNWHi1XHfRtTAD9CFDOV80

MapBox Open Source Toolkit Creates Custom Maps From the Ground Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Reading maps is pretty easy, creating them
| is not. MapBox is an online open source
| toolkit and database of custom tile sets
| that let you build great-looking maps in
| Amazon's cloud.
|
| [...]
|
| Data is plugged into the maps via
| OpenStreetMap, a free and editable map of
| the world, or TIGER US Census Data. TIGER
| provides a tremendous amount of
| geographical data, including states,
| counties, subdivisions, districts, and
| more.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/mapbox-open-source-toolkit-creates-custom-maps-from-the-ground-up

Postcode data to be free in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| The government is planning to give anyone
| free access to postcode data.

Why the UK's âSmarter Governmentâ Plan is Not So Clever

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been various murmurings from
| the UK government about openness without
| much substance â except for the recent
| announcement that Ordnance Survey data
| would finally be released. Now we have the
| âPutting the Frontline First: Smarter
| Governmentâ plan that includes further
| moves in this area as part of a larger
| government transformation.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2682&blogid=14

A Sneak Peek at Cabinet Department Open Government Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| In the news coverage over the Presidentâs
| Open Government Directive, two stories
| being overlooked are the release of an
| âOpen Government Progress Report to the
| American Peopleâ and the announcement (in
| a press release) that every Cabinet
| department will launch new open-government
| projects, details of which will be made
| available tomorrow.
`----

http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2009/12/08/a-sneak-peak-at-cabinet-department-open-government-projects/

Declaration of Open Government by Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian government is emerging as
| one of the leaders in the sphere of open
| government. It has now published a draft
| report of the Government 2.0 Taskforce,
| entitled "Engage: Getting on with
| Government 2.0" (hmm, not quite sure about
| that phraseology).
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/declaration-of-open-government-by.html

Zemanta opens up its recommendation engine for bloggers, hopes to drive more traffic to users

http://eu.techcrunch.com/2009/12/07/zemanta-opens-up-its-recommendation-engine-for-bloggers-hopes-to-drive-more-traffic-to-users/

The 1994 "Subversive Proposal" at 15: A Response

,----[ Quote ]
| Will it be another 15 years before the
| remaining 10,000 universities and research
| institutions (or at least the top 1000)
| wield the mighty pen to unleash the even
| mightier keystrokes (as 68 Institutions
| and Departments, and 42 Funders have
| already done)? Or will we keep dithering
| about Gold OA, publishing reform, peer
| review reform, re-use rights, author
| addenda, preservation and the other 38
| factors causing Zeno's Paralysis) for
| another decade and a half?
`----

http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/670-The-1994-Subversive-Proposal-at-15-A-Response.html

Local Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| The Prime Minister said that "there are
| many hundreds more datasets that can be
| opened up - not only from central
| government but also from local councils,
| the NHS, police and education
| authorities."; and the Secretary of State
| for Communities said "we plan to give
| local people far better access to
| information held by local public
| organisations so they can challenge,
| compare or scrutinise their local services
| in order to drive up standards in their
| area."
`----

http://blogs.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/digitalengagement/post/2009/12/07/Local-Government-Data.aspx

Brian Cox and Anna Maxwell Martin to star in MPs' expenses drama

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the Dundee-born actor Brian Cox is to
| take on a role rather closer to home,
| playing fellow Scot Michael Martin, the
| former Speaker of the House of Commons, in
| a forthcoming BBC satirical drama about
| the MPs' expenses affair.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/09/bbc-brian-cox-anna-maxwell-martin

The Future of Peer 2 Peer University

,----[ Quote ]
| The pilot phase of P2PU (Peer 2 Peer
| University) ended in October, after having
| run for six weeks with seven courses and
| approximately 90 participants. Last month,
| the pilot phase volunteers, including the
| course organizers, met in person for the
| first time at the first ever P2PU Workshop
| in Berlin.

Google's new open

Open access and open source are just the first step in the opening of the wireless industry.

http://telephonyonline.com/connectedplanet/news/google-open-access-1201/

Recent:

Progress on Open Database Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| During this autumn I've had the pleasure of
| working closely with Georg Greve, Founder and
| former President of the Free Software
| Foundation Europe. Seeing that he had just
| left his previous post, we realized that his
| experience would be invaluable to do some of
| the heavy lifting involved in setting up
| processes for this fresh association. And so
| it has been!
`----

http://openlife.cc/blogs/2009/november/progress-open-database-alliance

Unlocking the Cloud Means Open Data