[News] Signs of Police State, Loss of Personal Freedom

  • Subject: [News] Signs of Police State, Loss of Personal Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:51:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Police closing pubs for 'inadequate CCTV coverage'

,----[ Quote ]
| From the Lancashire Evening Post we learn
| that police in Preston have been closing
| down popular pubs and clubs on account of
| them having 'inadequate security camera
| coverage'.
`----

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2009/12/police-closing-pubs-for-inadequate-cctv-coverage.html

Average speed cameras installed in neighbourhoods for the first time

,----[ Quote ]
| A new generation of average speed cameras
| that will police 20mph zones in
| residential areas are to come into force
| in the New Year after they were approved
| by the government.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/6743003/Average-speed-cameras-installed-in-neighbourhoods-for-the-first-time.html

Photographers and anti-terrorism: The holiday snaps that
could get you arrested

,----[ Quote ]
| At a Downing Street news conference
| earlier this year, Gordon Brown found
| himself flummoxed by a question from a
| foreign journalist. He was asked what
| impression the rest of the world was
| getting of civil liberties in Britain now
| that tourists could be arrested for taking
| a photograph of a building. Mr Brown
| responded: "I don't accept that is the
| true picture of Britain at all." He then
| moved on, having dismissed the question as
| beneath contempt.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/philipjohnston/6724053/Photographers-and-anti-terrorism-The-holiday-snaps-that-could-get-you-arrested.html

The pernicious rise of the CRB Stasi

,----[ Quote ]
| The Daily Mail are reporting that Manor
| Community College in Cambridge is to ban
| any visitor who has not been checked by
| the Criminal Records Bureau.
`----

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2009/12/the-pernicious-rise-of-the-crb-stazi.html

Was Kelly Killed? A question that may put Chilcott in the shade

,----[ Quote ]
| After I read Norman Baker's book on The
| Strange Death of David Kelly I was
| convinced that he was probably killed -
| and not by his own hand. Baker's own
| theory of who did it struck me as
| implausable and the book is uneven and
| frustrating and includes unworthy
| inuendoes. But the defining and scandalous
| fact is this: there was no coronor's
| inquest into what was a highly significant
| death. We know that Blair took us to war
| and misled the country to justify his
| decision. We don't know why and how Kelly,
| the UK's foremost active weapons inspector
| in Iraq who hated Saddam and also hated
| the way the evidence to justify invasion
| was being tampered with, died.
`----

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/anthony-barnett/was-kelly-killed-question-that-may-put-chilcott-in-shade

Expect libel reform now that MPs are affected

,----[ Quote ]
| Therefore as a result of MPs now finding
| themselves liable under the libel law I
| conclude that libel reform is set to
| become a top priority on the legislative
| agenda. You read it here first!
`----

http://www.yrtk.org/2009/we-can-surely-expect-libel-reform-now-that-mps-are-affected/

Bruce Schneier on the Future of Privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Schneier believes a step change is coming.
| We live in a unique time: cameras are
| everywhere AND we can see them; identity
| checks happen all the time AND we know
| theyâre happening. However technology is a
| great distrupter of equilibriums and
| Mooreâs law is a friend of intrusive
| tools. Soon face-recognition software will
| obviate the need to carry ID â when you
| walk into your workplace theyâll already
| know who you are and whether youâre
| supposed to be there.
`----

http://www.richardskingdom.net/bruce-schneier-on-the-future-of-privacy

New DNA rules may still breach human rights

,----[ Quote ]
| The government's plans to limit DNA
| retention from those arrested but not
| charged or convicted may not go far
| enough,
| according to the body that ensures human
| rights rulings are obeyed.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/09/coe_dna/

If people are rude to the police itâs a bad signâ

,----[ Quote ]
| But have things now changed? Are people in
| general less happy now with identifying
| themselves and cooperating with the
| police? Is there any research on this?
`----

http://idealgovernment.com/2009/12/if-people-are-rude-to-the-police-its-a-bad-sign/

How stranger danger changed the way children play

,----[ Quote ]
| This play was unsupervised by mum or dad
| and children were free to go on adventures
| far from home. Sadly this world of
| independent child's play has today largely
| vanished. One of the important reasons for
| this decline is the inexorable rise of
| stranger danger and child abduction in
| modern Britain.

New Study Reveals Most Children Unrepentant Sociopaths

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/new_study_reveals_most_children?utm_source=onion_rss_daily