[News] GNU/Linux Applications for Text Editing, Organising, and DVD Ripping

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Applications for Text Editing, Organising, and DVD Ripping
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:39:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Two Minimalist Linux Text Editors That Make Writing Easy

,----[ Quote ]
| It took decades of writing, but Iâve come to
| a realisation: word processors do way more
| than what I need. Programs like Microsoft
| Office and Open Office are intended for
| laying out content visually to be printed on
| sheets of paper. You can use them to format
| text in your desired font, to add tables and
| even graphics.
|
| [...]
|
| For my day to day writing needs I use
| PyRoom. This isnât to say Iâm not impressed
| with WriteRoomâs feature set â itâs just
| that PyRoom is GTK based and Iâm a Gnome
| user. The fact that thereâs a solid option
| for both major desktops is great, thoughâ
| that sort of choice is no small part of why
| Iâm a Linux user in the first place.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/two-minimalist-linux-text-editors-that-make-writing-easy/

Two task organizers

,----[ Quote ]
| I like TreeLine for having a polished
| interface and a structured feel to it, but
| neither it nor beeswax (or Agenda, to be
| honest) is likely to dethrone hnb for me any
| time soon. TreeLine is clever and
| attractive, but seems unnecessarily mouse-
| driven, or overcomplicated for things like
| checklists. And like I said, beeswax doesnât
| really feel like itâs finished.
|
| So hnb by comparison is just too fast and
| easy. Right arrow makes a new branch. Start
| typing and a new item is added. You can
| embed checklists in standard hierarchies.
| Copy and paste throughout the tree. Export
| into several different formats, including
| HTML.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/two-task-organizers/

Handbrake 0.9.4 Review (Video Transcoder For Windows, Mac OS X & Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve long considered Handbrake on of the
| best DVD ripping applications available, and
| after a year long wait, itâs finally been
| upgraded to version 0.9.4, complete with
| over a whopping thousand changes.
`----

http://www.zath.co.uk/handbrake-0-9-4-review-video-transcoder-for-windows-mac-os-x-linux/

Recent:

MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcwMQ