[News] Microsoft Tries to Illegalise Free Software with "Interoperabilityâ (Patents) Weasel Word

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Tries to Illegalise Free Software with "Interoperabilityâ (Patents) Weasel Word
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:31:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft survey on âperceptions of interoperabilityâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft appears to be running a survey on
| âperceptions of interoperability.â Iâll let
| you decide for yourself whether this is
| phrased in a completely neutral and
| objective manner, but you might want to
| weigh in if you feel you want to help
| separate perceptions from reality.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4766

US DOJ lets Microsoft resume collecting protocol royalties

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin collecting royalties
| again for licensing some protocols because
| clear technical documentation is now
| available, the U.S. Department of Justice
| (DOJ) said on Tuesday.
|
| The change comes after the DOJ issued its
| latest joint status report regarding its
| 2002 antitrust settlement with Microsoft.
|
| The settlement required Microsoft to make
| available technical documentation that would
| allow other vendors to make products that
| are interoperable with Microsoft's Windows
| operating systems.
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/329234

Microsoft urges Flash makers to pay fat dollar for exFAT format

,----[ Quote ]
| In March, Microsoft signed an IP licensing
| deal with TomTom, after the companies
| exchanged legal threats in court over
| patents related to the FAT formats. The pair
| eventually agreed to play nice, much to the
| chagrin of many in the open source world.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/11/exfat_licensing_linux_who_they/

Recent:

The CodePlex Foundation: First Impressions (and Recommendations)

,----[ Quote ]
| Q:  What about the CodePlex mission?  How does that sound?
|
| A:  I had to smile a bit when I listened to the (scripted) interview at the
| site.  The premise seems to be that (a) âsome companiesâ have âcultureâ
| problems that keep them out of open source projects, or are âuneasyâ with the
| âintellectual propertyâ rules of open source foundations; (b) that âmore
| companiesâ would participate âas much as they shouldâ if better practices, and
| intellectual property tools, were developed; and (c) that a place is needed to
| bring âsuch companiesâ and open source developers together.  Itâs clear that
| all of these statements would be true if you substituted âMicrosoftâ for the
| phrase, âsome companies,â but I havenât noticed that any of these factors has
| been a problem for most other software vendors.
|
| This slide from the interview will give you the flavor:
|
| Â    Commercial software developers currently under-participate in open source
| projects
|     -  Cultural differences
|     -  Differing development methodologies
|     -  Differing perspectives on copyrights and patents
|     -  Differing perspectives on licensing
| Â    No other foundation is dedicated to changing that situation
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20090914102959510

Touristâs Guide to Microsoftâs Potemkin Village

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://mono-nono.com/2009/09/15/tourists-guide-to-microsofts-potemkin-village/