[News] Attack of the Software Patents Intensifies

  • Subject: [News] Attack of the Software Patents Intensifies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:26:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

British government clowning around with patents -- but no-one's laughing

,----[ Quote ]
| On the assumption that this is not a
| practical joke, it now seems that the
| British government is set to tax the fruits
| of research and development in order to fund
| ... research and development. What a
| wonderful incentive to invest, particularly
| when other countries are encouraging R&D by
| doing the exact opposite. Merpel says, don't
| worry: Britain's best tax brains will soon
| find ways of showing that the income in
| question isn't derived from patents at all,
| and the government's coffers will be none
| the fuller.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2009/12/british-government-clowning-around-with.html

Apple Countersues Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Responding to a lawsuit brought against the
| company by Nokia, Apple today filed a
| countersuit claiming that Nokia is
| infringing 13 Apple patents.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/12/emotional_epide.html

Apple, Nokia Patent Fight Continues

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/bentley/apple-nokia-patent-fight-continues/?cs=38102

Apple countersues Nokia

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1565940/apple-countersues-nokia

Apple and Nokia's battle hots up

Round Table on Software Patents at the Israel Patent Office

,----[ Quote ]
| As I have explained in this blog in earlier
| articles, I consider the copyright double
| protection idea is problematic since
| copyright protects the embodiment of the
| idea and not the idea itself. Why shouldnât
| a software invention be protectable against
| reengineering? Is a 70 year protection
| against copying of any value in a field
| where a generation is usually 2 years?
| Considering software not technical is
| ridiculous. software is rightly considered
| an engineering discipline. Since algorithms
| can be hard-wired into chips or by a machine
| with valves, the concept of software being
| different from hardware is somewhat
| arbitrary. Nevertheless, Lord Justice Jacobs
| has presented powerful arguments as to why
| software patents are not in the interest of
| promoting progress and there is a large
| open-source community.
`----

http://blog.ipfactor.co.il/2009/11/02/round-table-on-software-patents-at-the-israel-patent-office/

Israel in danger of software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The Israeli Patent Office (IPO) has launched
| a consultation on whether or not to allow
| software patents, with a February 2010
| deadline. Iâve put the details at the end of
| this post, but first some background.
|
|     * The IPO consistently rejects software
|     patents and business method patents.
|     Examples:
|           o The 2005 rejection of the 142049
|           website patent
|           o The September 2006 rejection of
|           the 131733 sales coupons patent
|     * Patent Attorney Ehud Hausman, with the
|     support of international pro-swpat lobby
|     group AIPPI, has been trying since 2007
|     to change this.
|     * He claimed in May 2008 to have partly
|     convinced the IPO to grant software
|     patents (but no change on business
|     method patents). Iâve no third-party
|     confirmation of this.
`----

http://news.swpat.org/2009/11/israel-in-danger-of-software-patents/

Objectivists: "All Property is Intellectual Property"

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, if you take a principled
| approach to IP, you endorse a system that
| condemns society to stagnation and death. So
| most proponents, like Rand, realizing this,
| start making ad hoc, unprincipled,
| utilitarian exceptions to avoid the most
| obvious, harsh consequences of a principled
| implementation of their confused IP ideas.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000001988

Recent:

Virgin Media wins Gemstar EPG ruling