[News] Free Software Already Reached Maturity Point

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Already Reached Maturity Point
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:52:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source was good enough, will non-open source be open enough?

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time years ago when open source
| software in the enterprise often had to be
| just âgood enough.â Over time, use and
| broader adoption, open source software has
| now reached the point that it must often be
| âas good or betterâ than proprietary
| alternatives, now typically getting equal
| consideration from customers and users.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/12/11/open-source-was-good-enough-will-non-open-source-be-open-enough/

A FOSS Perspective On Richard Schaefferâs Three Tactics For Computer Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking Schaefferâs three tactics as our
| lead, here is a FOSS perspective on these
| protection mechanisms:
|
| Best practices implies community effort:
| discussing, sharing and collectively
| building understanding and techniques for
| managing systems and their software
| components. FOSS (Free and Open Source
| Software) communities develop, discuss and
| share these best practices in their project
| support and development forums. Debianâs
| package management system implements some
| of these best practices in the operating
| system itself thereby allowing users who do
| not participate in the development and
| support communities to realize the benefits
| of best practices without understanding or
| even knowing that they exist. This is one
| of the important benefits of policy- and
| package-based operating systems like Debian
| and Ubuntu.
`----

http://blog.remoteresponder.net/2009/12/11/a-foss-perspective-on-richard-schaeffers-three-tactics-for-computer-security/

Recent:

Enterprise Search Reaches Open Source Maturation Point

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/masked_intentions/content/enterprise_applications/enterprise_search_reaches_open_source_maturation_point.html
http://tinyurl.com/dlsf6h