[News] Intellectual Monopolies Don't Match up with Business Models

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Don't Match up with Business Models
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:10:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Russian Publishers Taking A More Progressive View On Book 'Piracy'

,----[ Quote ]
| While some do seem upset about the issue,
| others are actually figuring out ways to deal
| with it, including offering their own vastly
| cheaper ebook versions quickly (and with no
| DRM), or even working out deals with "pirate"
| sites to share some of the ad revenue. The one
| publisher that the article focuses on, Sergei
| Parchomenko, says that they're not losing
| money from pirate sites, but the
| responsibility is on him to come up with a
| workable business model. It's nice to see
| someone realizing that they need to react to
| the market, rather than freak out about
| things.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091206/1159307220.shtml

Music as Commerce: Understanding a Mindset

,----[ Quote ]
| By and large, thinking of music as
| commerce, as strictly a means through which
| money is made, is what got the record
| industry into this mess in the first place.
| Long before the Internet and file-sharing
| became common scapegoats, the record
| industryâs growth was already based on the
| notion of a forever expanding market for
| music that never existed.  Because music is
| such a definitive part of the human
| experience and passionately embraced the
| world over, it was supposed that quarter to
| quarter not only could record labels
| achieve exponential growth, but that from
| album to album an artist ought to be able
| to achieve the same results.  But, as we
| now know, this mindset can only persist for
| so long, because music as commerce expands
| rather differently from music as culture.
`----

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2009/12/music-as-commerce-understanding-a-mindset.html

Recent:

Intellectual Monopolists Scorn the Blind

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/intellectual-monopolists-scorn-blind.html