Re: [News] [Rival] Apple HypeMacs MIA

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Tuesday 15 Dec 2009 12:51 : \____

> Ian Hilliard pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Macs not all that for reliability
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/11/18/laptop_reliable/
>>
>> This is a somewhat dodgy report from a company that sells extended
>> warranties. It does not indicate what sort of problems these machines
>> have. It could well be that battery problems or sticky keys are rated
>> equally with failed mainboards.
>>
>> What I can say is I have had three Toshiba laptops and they have all
>> died shortly after the three year warranty expired. In each case, it was
>> the video that died.
>>
>> Unless Asus have upped their game, I find it somewhat suspicious that
>> they are rated as most reliable, as they used to be very bad.
>>
>> Most of the people who have MacBooks only complain of the battery giving
>> problems. My wife's MacBook Pro is five years old and still going strong.
>>
>> In the end, this white paper is really about trying to convince people
>> to buy expensive extended warranties, which in most cases are of no
>> value at all.
>
> I noticed yesterday that my Acer wasn't showing eth0.  I'd seen that before,
> when I booted to Fedora's stock kernel, in the 2.6.30 series, instead of
> my custom kernel (2.6.31).  The difference was that I'd since deleted my
> custom kernel.  I thought it a good time to see if I could get the wired
> adapter working on the Fedora kernel.  Couldn't see it in Network Manager.
> Couldn't see it with ifconfig.  So I did an lspci and saw no sign
> of the wired NIC!
>
> I booted to Win 7 and went to the Device Manager, and saw no sign of it
> there.  WTF?
>
> No light at the switch port, though there was a light on the jack on the
> laptop.  (Turned out to be a bad wire.)
>
> I asked a colleague what he thought was going on, and he said, "Your NIC is
> fried, dude".  Puzzling, since I mostly use wireless on this lappy.
>
> Anyway, I pack up and go home, and build a 2.6.32 kernel from my custom
> 2.6.31 ".config".  Now I do see eth0 and the "Attansic" hardware in lspci.
>
> Then I boot to the stock Fedora kernel and still see eth0.  So I have a
> little puzzle to play with.  Perhaps the wired NIC is intermittent.

Some months ago when I booted Mandriva on my brother's laptop it 'disabled'
the wireless switch (digital switch, not mechanical). It took almost an
hour to figure this out.

You say Windows had the same issue. Could there be something beyond software here?

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st