Re: [News] [Rival] Apple HypeMacs MIA

____/ High Plains Thumper on Tuesday 15 Dec 2009 12:33 : \____

> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Apple delays shipping broken Imacs
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1566027/apple-delays-shipping-broken-imacs
>>>
>>> Recent:
>>>
>>> Macs not all that for reliability
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/11/18/laptop_reliable/
>
> Roy, I've noticed you using what appears to be 40 character lines.  You
> wouldn't happen to be using a Commodore 64 as TTY into your Linux
> machine?   :-)

I modified the settings/preferences because KNode in KDE4 works differently.

>> This is a somewhat dodgy report from a company that sells extended
>> warranties. It does not indicate what sort of problems these machines
>> have. It could well be that battery problems or sticky keys are
>> rated equally with failed mainboards.
>>
>> What I can say is I have had three Toshiba laptops and they have all
>> died shortly after the three year warranty expired. In each case, it
>> was the video that died.
>>
>> Unless Asus have upped their game, I find it somewhat suspicious that
>> they are rated as most reliable, as they used to be very bad.
>>
>> Most of the people who have MacBooks only complain of the battery
>> giving problems. My wife's MacBook Pro is five years old and still
>> going strong.
>>
>> In the end, this white paper is really about trying to convince
>> people to buy expensive extended warranties, which in most cases are
>> of no value at all.
>
> I think Apple has had better hardware reliability than Microsoft's Zune
> and Xbox.  After reading the horror stories, I am glad I don't have
> either of those products in my home.

Indeed. A Toshiba laptop also comes with Linux and Solaris (yes, they sold
some preinstalled).

Does Apple just offshore all its actual hardware development to Foxconn et al?

It is possible that Apple uses the very same components as a "PC"... made in
the very same factories on the same assembly lines in fact.

Apple makes its casing too in Asia.

> An odd occurrence happened with my dual boot Acer Aspire One netbook.
> It appeared to be DOA.  Then I did a net search, found it was possibly a
> BIOS bug.  I downloaded the new BIOS, saved to a USB stick.  Then
> followed directions.
>
> Lo and behold, the system came to life.  Apparently, once the battery
> died, the bug prevented the netbook from properly charging and from
> starting up with a dead battery, although connected to the charger.
>
> I have been happy with the netbook, except it has about an hour and half
> of battery life.  The additional memory and hard drive so it could be
> sold with Windows XP is a drain on battery life.
>
> The Linux netbooks here in US have dried up except for OEM's like Dell.

You can't extrapolate from that. Linux laptops (not just netbooks) are hot
in Germany and France, for example.

> It is rather sad that apparently, uncompetitive measures through special
> deals (and I would not be surprised of unfavourable business threats)
> have taken their toll, causing harm to the consumer.
>
> AFAIK, Windows 7 does not run on a true, lite netbook.  Also equally
> disparaging is the lack of the ARM netbook in US, which would have been
> a hit I believe, similar to the inexpensive 8-bit home computers that
> showed up in the early 1980's.  Those home computers taught many the
> rudiments of computer language through BASIC and embedded hand assembly,
> addressing memory, I/O and graphics, and etc.
>
> Thus, advanced hardware along with expensive software is not necessarily
> what the consumer wants.  I believe the days of the thick computer are
> coming to a close, except for hindrances through artificially created
> legal entanglements and monopoly maintenances.

These monopolies are probably not seen as "bad" by those who run things.
http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/182

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st