[News] Desktop GNU/Linux Benefits from/Unaffected by Diversity

  • Subject: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux Benefits from/Unaffected by Diversity
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:38:49 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Chrome OS and the death of the Free desktop: a response

,----[ Quote ]
| Fundamentally then, I disagree with the
| author that the advent of Chrome OS will be
| a good thing. I disagree that a single
| desktop environment for GNU/Linux would
| necessarily better serve the needs of itâs
| users or developers. And furthermore I
| disagree that itâs reasonable to measure
| the success of KDE and Gnome by whether
| they are worthy of being included as part
| of Chrome OS.
|
| Declaring these wildly creative and
| successful projects âdeadâ as a result of
| this way of thinking is to miss the point
| of their existence. They provide freedom
| and choice to computer users throughout the
| world. Being a key component of a new
| technology which seeks to dominate, control
| and spy on millions of users would not
| serve the ends of these projects, and would
| be no kind of victory.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/community_posts/chrome_os_and_death_free_desktop_response

Having multiple DEs is as good as having multiple brands and models of cars.

Five Productivity Extensions for Google Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| Good news for Google Chrome users: the
| latest version of the browser supports
| extensions, so you can extend its default
| functionality by installing extensions from
| the official extension repository. While
| the repository offers only a few hundred
| extensions (compared to several thousand
| add-ons available on Firefox), it does
| feature a few neat modules that can make
| your browsing more productive.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Five-Productivity-Extensions-for-Google-Chrome

Recent:

Fragmentation good for the user, says Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Fragmentation within mobile platforms helps handset manufacturers
| and software developers to properly address customers' needs, a
| senior Nokia executive has said.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013788o-2000331761b,00.htm

Distribution Variation

,----[ Quote ]
| I could use one variant that let
| me choose my desktop environment and applications during
| install time. The installer could use either a network
| repository, or on disc repository depending on the ISO file.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/09/distribution-variation.html

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html