[News] Linux Graphics Stack Imrpoves, Room for Fine-tuning

  • Subject: [News] Linux Graphics Stack Imrpoves, Room for Fine-tuning
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:54:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gallium3D Gets A Blitter Module

,----[ Quote ]
| The most recent module for Gallium3D is one
| written by Marek OlÅÃk that provides a
| blitter.
|
| Once the core blitter support is merged
| into Gallium3D, Marek has already
| implementing patches for the ATI r300g
| driver that are able to take advantage of
| this blitter work.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgwMw

NVIDIA's Response To Recent Nouveau Work

,----[ Quote ]
| In the mailing list discussion that
| followed, it looked like Linus' request
| wouldn't be immediately acted upon due to
| legal issues with Nouveau surrounding some
| unknown microcode/firmware that is a
| critical part of the initialization process
| for newer graphics cards. However, this
| microcode ended up being pulled out of the
| driver itself and now relies upon it being
| loaded as firmware, which ended up in a
| Nouveau pull request just a day later. Now
| NVIDIA customers of the Linux 2.6.33 kernel
| and later can benefit from the mainline DRM
| with kernel mode-setting and when using the
| yet-to-be-released xf86-video-nouveau DDX
| driver and eventually its Gallium3D driver
| for providing 3D support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgwNQ

Linux Monday: Fine-Tune The Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the advantages we Linux geeks like
| to claim over competing operating systems
| is the flexibility of the system. We're not
| talking about changing your screen saver--
| we're talking the guts of the operating
| system itself.
`----

http://jdeeth.blogspot.com/2009/12/linux-monday-kernel-check.html

Recent:

NVIDIA Pushes Out 195.22 Beta Linux Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Further enriching VDPAU continues to be a
| core focus of NVIDIA's developers and with
| the 195.22 release there are enhancements
| to the VDPAU blit-based presentation
| queue, updated VDPAU to improve thread
| concurrency (this could help the
| GStreamer-Cairo developers, modified the
| install location of the VDPAU libraries
| (see the recent libvdpau release), a
| define for VDPAU_INTERFACE_VERSION, and a
| fix for a periodic temporary hang in the
| VDPAU blit-based presentation queue. The
| main new feature for VDPAU though with the
| 195.xx series is that the Video Decode and
| presentation API for Unix now allows
| multiple streams to be decoded at once.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzczOQ

NVIDIA 64-bit FreeBSD Beta Driver By Year's End

,----[ Quote ]
| With the FreeBSD 8.0 release now
| available, we reached out to NVIDIA to
| find out the status of their 64-bit BSD
| display driver, now that this operating
| system carries the necessary mmap
| extension support in their 64-bit kernel
| for their proprietary graphics driver to
| function. Andy Ritger, who heads the user-
| space side of NVIDIA's UNIX Graphics
| Driver team and was previously interviewed
| by Phoronix, provided a brief update.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzczNw

NVIDIA Uses Cartoons to Harass Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The site is especially critical of CEO Paul
| Otellini.  A recent post features a cartoon
| with a cross-eyed Otellini denying using
| "bribery, coercion and kickback relations" to
| try to corner the market.  The site has a
| rather humorous disclaimer informing readers
| that it "is not provided, sponsored or endorsed
| by Intel Corporation."
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Uses+Cartoons+to+Harass+Intel/article16733.htm

Nvidia 190.42 Linux Display Driver Has Support for OpenGL 3.2

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidia-190-42-Linux-Display-Driver-Has-Support-for-OpenGL-3-2-125389.shtml