[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 in Review, New Fans

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 in Review, New Fans
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:58:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu's Lucid plans

,----[ Quote ]
| In April the Ubuntu developers will
| release Lucid Lynx, the next version of
| the popular Linux operating system. Also
| known as Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx will be
| the third long term support (LTS) release
| from Ubuntu and is likely to have a strong
| focus on stability and security and will
| be geared at appealing to enterprise users
| and hardware makers. Ubuntu releases new
| versions every six months with LTS
| releases supported for five years on
| servers and three years on desktops.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/10860.html

Ubuntu 10.04 will bring panel overhaul, social network menu

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical has revealed plans to bring
| social networking integration and GNOME
| panel improvements in the next major
| version of Ubuntu. Notification area icons
| will be replaced by a new application
| indicator system. The panel will also
| feature a new Me Menu for setting
| messaging status.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/12/ubuntu-1004-will-bring-panel-overhaul-social-network-menu.ars

My kid will, in fact, do it with Ubuntu (and other 2010 predictions)

,----[ Quote ]
| There he is, kid #4: his t-shirt says it
| all. By way of disclosure, I got that t-
| shirt for free from the good folks at
| Canonical. I donât, however, think he will
| end up using Ubuntu because they gave me a
| free t-shirt. I think heâll use Ubuntu
| because he already does. I also think that
| Ubuntu use will continue to spread beyond
| the kids of the sorts of people to whom
| Canonical sends t-shirts. Ubuntu is not
| just for geeks anymore.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3448

So a Man Walks Into a Bar and Asks for an Ubuntu on the Rocks

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier today, I had to go to IT Square in
| Laksi to do some banking. Knowing what a
| geek that I am, and since  there are ten
| branches closer than the IT Square one,
| you'd be forgiven for assuming that I went
| to bank there as an excuse for computer
| shopping, but you'd be wrong. I was
| required to go to that specific branch.
| After the baning, though, my gf and I
| walked around a little.
|
| She was checking out laptop bags, and my
| attention went to the Acer display just
| outside the bag store. To my shock, there
| was a low-end laptop (about USD400) with a
| localized version of Ubuntu on the
| computer. There was a special Acer desktop
| background, and the menus were in Thai.
| The next computer had the same system.
| Hmmm. The specs described the computer as
| having Linpus Linux installed (pictured
| above), but the system was definitely
| Ubuntu. There were about twelve models on
| display, but some of them weren't on.
`----

http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2009/12/so-man-walks-into-bar-and-asks-for.html

DVD Ranger on Ubuntu - Improved Functionality for a New Category of Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Pixbyte Development SL today announced
| that DVD Ranger will be available for
| Ubuntu users, thus expanding the range of
| functionality. Starting today, if you want
| to burn DVD on Ubuntu, you can enjoy the
| best video quality using our DVD Ranger.

Plymouth Running On Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgwMA