[News] Monty Python Goes for Free/Libre CMS Software, Kaltura Latches Onto Drupal

  • Subject: [News] Monty Python Goes for Free/Libre CMS Software, Kaltura Latches Onto Drupal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:14:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Monty Python using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Time to bring up your favorite Monty Python
| quotes, because Monty Python is using
| Drupal! Check it out at
| http://pythonline.com. Good example of a
| community website built with Drupal.
`----

http://buytaert.net/monty-python-using-drupal

Is an Open Source Online Video Platform Right for You?

,----[ Quote ]
| Can Kalturaâs open-source OVP really do
| everything that a closed-source provider can
| do? Unfortunately thatâs not in my realm of
| knowledge to answer. Can it do some things
| better than a closed-source can? Youâll
| likely get differing opinions from
| developers on that one. Does it really have
| an âeasyâ solution that makes it accessible
| to a larger audience of video publishers?
| Yes, but I would say it appears to be
| heavily towards one type of audience â those
| with IT resources available. It would be
| interesting to find out if anybody without
| programming experience could actually build
| an successful video experience using just
| limited version of the Kaltura video
| programâ and say it was âeasy.â
`----

http://www.reelseo.com/open-source-online-video-platform/

Better Coding Standards in JavaScript 5

,----[ Quote ]
| In general, these changes are for the
| greater good in terms of code compliance as
| well as cross-browser compatibility (my only
| bane is that most browsers are not strictly
| compliant in terms of W3C standards, but
| this might be resolved within the next 2000
| years.)
|
| At the end of the day stricter standards
| imply better coding and in turn powerful
| code that does not break. The additions of a
| standard JSON parsing mechanism and strict
| mode will be of great benefit to developers,
| with the potential to translate into smaller
| libraries for Prototype and other extension
| libraries required. On the whole, JavaScript
| 5 seems to be moving forward where
| JavaScript 4 failed to even get moving, let
| alone take off. Let's hope that in the
| future these things become an ally to
| developers rather than yet another setback
| in the struggle for ultimate browser
| compatibility and perfect coding technique.
`----

http://wdvl.internet.com/Authoring/JavaScript/JS5/marc_plotz12172009.html

Silverdrek is going nowhere.

Recent:

Forbes Russia using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| The website of the Russian Forbes magazine was
| recently redesigned using Drupal.
`----

http://buytaert.net/forbes-russia-using-drupal

Obama Team Challenges Web Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Having rebuilt Whitehouse.gov on the open
| source Drupal platform, President Obama's
| new media team is calling on the open
| source community for new ideas and
| technology.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/info-management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221900361

Should the White House Contribute to the Open Source Community?

,----[ Quote ]
| While this measure may not be an immediate
| cost-saver (5 different companies are
| involved in re-building and maintaining the
| White House web site), long-term costs
| should fall as government agencies are able
| to borrow from the greater Drupal community
| while incrementally improving on the
| websites code. But the question remains,
| will the Obama White House share some of the
| contributions itâs making to open source?
`----

http://appfrica.net/blog/2009/10/28/should-the-white-house-contribute-to-the-open-source-community/

Whitehouse.gov could be a springboard for Open Source for America

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many of you, I awoke Monday to read
| that whitehouse.gov was now running on open
| source products, including Drupal, Red Hat
| Linux, Apache web server, MySQL, and Apache
| Solr.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whitehousegov-could-be-springboard-open-source-america-726

White House web site goes open source