[News] Intellectual Monopolies Ruin/Obstruct Commerce and Trade

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Ruin/Obstruct Commerce and Trade
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:26:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Amateur Artist Wants To Ban All Sales Of Old Baltimore Ravens Game Films Over Logo Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| While Bouchat "won," he wasn't given any
| money, because he had failed to register his
| design before it was put into use. But he's
| since sued various other companies, and this
| latest lawsuit is an attempt to say that no
| one can show those old films because they
| use "his" logo, despite the lack of evidence
| of actual copying (which, if copyright were
| actually about copyright would be
| necessary).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091213/2149477330.shtml

IMPORTANT: So ... here's the situation

,----[ Quote ]
| The NCAA contacted us, trying to bully us
| into simply handing all of our domains over
| to them. Why? Because they have "ncaa" in
| them. In my best Lee Corso .... not so fast
| my friend.
|
| We intend to fight the NCAA on this. We
| believe we are unquestionably in the legal
| right to retain these domains under fair use
| and the first amendment. Even some of the
| case law the NCAA stated itself in its
| complaint included domains containing the
| word "NCAA" where the owner won against the
| NCAA. We have rounded up the NCAAbbs Legal
| Dream Team of a half dozen or so board
| members. The Electronic Frontier Foundation
| (EFF) has also expressed initial interest in
| this, and passed the information along to
| their attorneys. We'll also be seeking the
| ACLU's support in this.
`----

http://ncaabbs.com/announcements.php?aid=182

F1 Racing Looks To Embrace The Internet, Rather Than Fight It

,----[ Quote ]
| We've noticed plenty of sports leagues
| really fighting against the internet, and
| assuming it's a "problem" or a "challenge"
| that needs to be stopped, rather than a
| great tool that needs to be embraced.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091209/1055057267.shtml

Recent:

Nobel Streams Laureates Over the Web in Bid to Build Brand

,----[ Quote ]

`----
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126040781102484651.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop