[News] A Look at Sun Under Oracle; Sun Brings FOSS to Colleges

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Sun Under Oracle; Sun Brings FOSS to Colleges
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 01:48:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle lays out its vision for Sun: Will it work?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun wonât play for market share. Ellison was
| pretty blunt about Sunâs prospects as a
| massive server player. Sun doesnât have the
| scale and frankly getting it isnât worth the
| effort. Ellison said:
|
|     One thing we recognized that Sun just
|     really does not now and is never likely
|     to have the volume to compete in the high
|     volume, low margin business of just
|     selling an Intel server with Windows on
|     it or Linux on it one at a time. We think
|     that high volume, low margin business is
|     a good business as long as you have high
|     volumes. That is something that Dell and
|     HP are very good at and we are going to
|     avoid that business.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28767

Pearson and Sun Microsystems, Inc. Offer College Students Technology Training, Gateway
to Professional Certification

,----[ Quote ]
| It has a presence in a wide range of devices,
| computers and networks. Open Solaris is an open
| source project created by Sun in 2005 to build
| a developer community around the Solaris
| Operating System (OS).
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/pearson-and-sun-microsystems-inc,1093502.shtml

Recent:

Marten Mickos: Trust the Mighty MySQL Nation

,----[ Quote ]
| If MySQL were any old database, putting it
| in the same camp as the market leader
| would certainly give pause for thought.
| But MySQL is not any old database: it's a
| free software one, released under the GNU
| GPL. This changes the dynamics
| considerably, as this fascinating letter
| from Mickos to the European Commissioner
| Neelie Kroes eloquently explains.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=2580

Sun releases Solaris 10 10/09

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has announced the
| availability of the 10/09 update for its
| Solaris 10 operating system (OS). The
| latest release includes a number of bug
| fixes, feature updates and expanded
| support for new processors.
|
| In addition to several efficiency and
| performance improvements, Solaris 10 10/09
| includes new updates for Solaris ZFS which
| integrates the ability to use solid-state
| drive (SSD) technology for data caching
| and high volume transactional
| applications. Administrators can now set
| usage limits, such as by individual file
| system, user or group.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Sun-releases-Solaris-10-10-09--/news/114449

Oracle's and Sun's Top Guns Reassure the Sun Faithful

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the best news on the open source
| front appears to be that Oracle will
| nurture MySQL. We've said before that
| MySQL could become an open source on-ramp
| for Oracle's proprietary databases. MySQL
| founder Monty Widenius has speculated that
| Oracle could possibly kill MySQL. As
| Oracle OpenWorld starts, though, there are
| good reasons to believe that Oracle will
| increase its invesment in MySQL. After
| many bumps in the road for Oracle's
| proposed acquisition, that would be good
| to see.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/oracles-and-suns-top-guns-reassure-the-sun-faithful

There's a Friggin' Sun in the Room

,----[ Quote ]
| What is in question is what the backing of
| a giant like Oracle will do for Solaris,
| Java, MySQL and SPARC. Also, how is Oracle
| itself going to change? Oracle will now be
| offering three different RDBMSs (innoDB,
| Oracle, MySQL), on three different
| platforms (Linux, Solaris, Windows), and
| three different hardware platforms (SPARC,
| x86, AMD64). Oracle is now poised to take
| on IBM directly, as well as potentially
| taking on Microsoft's dominance in the
| business world. Solaris is a ready
| replacement for many different types of
| software installations. It works well on
| servers and desktops, has a commercial
| office suite that is very comparable to MS
| Office, it's got Java, and it has database
| solutions galore. It is now possible that
| we are now adding Oracle to that platform.
| I hope so much that Oracle can make it all
| happen. They have the pockets, do they
| have the brains?
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/10/theres-friggin-sun-in-room.html

Mickos letter to EU: Approve Oracle-Sun deal

,----[ Quote ]
| One who shares this concern is former MySQL CEO
| MÃrten Mickos. On Thursday, Mickos sent a letter
| to Neelie Kroes, the European Union's competition
| commissioner, urging that the deal be approved
| for the good of the market and MySQL.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10370162-16.html

Ellison: No MySQL spin off