[News] Mandy's Intellectual Monopolies/Copyrights Cartel Law Debates, Reality Strikes

  • Subject: [News] Mandy's Intellectual Monopolies/Copyrights Cartel Law Debates, Reality Strikes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 02:02:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Talking about Internet 'piracy'

,----[ Quote ]
| WITH LORD PETER MANDELSON stepping off of his
| media mogul friendâs yacht recently and
| announcing his newly found dislike for the
| peer-to-peer file sharer, Internet âpiracyâ
| has once again become a hot topic. Admittedly
| fanning the flames a little, the Inquirer sat
| down with a few key players involved in the
| current state of online file sharing to
| discuss the industryâs future developments
| and, perhaps more importantly, its legal
| status.
|
| The first big shot we got hold of was Gary
| Fung, the owner, creator and admin of
| isohunt.com, one of the worldâs largest
| torrent search engines. In case you have been
| living under a rock for the past half-decade,
| torrent files link multiple users to
| âtrackersâ that allow them to connect to one
| another in order to download legal or illegal
| content. We began our discussion by asking
| him to lay out his and his siteâs background.
| Initially isohunt.com began as a programming
| experiment way back in 2002, but with the
| growth of torrent usage in 2003, âit just
| explodedâ, rapidly expanding into the
| industry heavyweight it is today.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/1566338/talking-internet-piracy

Unknown filmmaker gets $30m for robot movie

,----[ Quote ]
| An unknown filmmaker from Uruguay has been
| given $30m by Hollywood studio bosses - to
| turn his $500 YouTube video of a giant robot
| invasion into a movie
|
| Would-be director Federico Alvarez, who runs
| a post-production visual effects house in
| Uruguay, filmed 'Panic Attack' with a budget
| of just $500 in his free time.
`----

http://newslite.tv/2009/12/02/unknown-filmmaker-gets-30m-for.html

Recent:

Threatening Internet freedom in the UK

,----[ Quote ]
| All too often, the public policy world
| focuses on subtle legislative distinctions
| and on regulatory details. But once in a
| while, an issue comes along that strikes
| to the heart of the big principles. Such
| an issue erupted last week in the UK - an
| issue that incorporates two of the most
| important subjects on these pages: privacy
| and innovation.
`----

http://googlepolicyeurope.blogspot.com/2009/12/threatening-internet-freedom-in-uk.html

Pure Mint boss resigns BPI committee over Digital Economy Bill

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://newsblog.thecmuwebsite.com/post/Pure-Mint-boss-resigns-BPI-committee-over-Digital-Economy-Bill.aspx